Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,021   Online: 1111

Shooter
    Medium Format

Durst Gravacop vacuum easel

breaking the ice...

Did anyone have a chance to use one of these? It is around 26"x33" in size and looks pretty heavy. How well can it hold paper cut from a roll, mostly FB Emaks?
    Is the original pump reliable? Feel free to shoot if you got something on this beast.

Cheers & thanks
    d_rookie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not used a commercial one. Mine is home made for up to 16x20, and is powered from a little cannister vaccuum cleaner with the filter bag removed that I picked up at the thrift store.

The key is to mask off the area that the paper is not covering. I have a collection of mask for the usually smaller than 16x20 made out of expired ep/2 RC paper. the
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mike, would that technique work on a vertical vacuum easel?
    I've been juggling the idea of building one from Forex (which,
    I believe, is the same as Sintra) board and attaching it to
    the wall. There are some commercial-grade pumps available
    locally (in Croatia) for around U$200 which are supposed to
    have a pretty good pull on a 50"x90" surface.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MIne is made of 'fibreboard' on top - basically sawdust held together with glue.
    It has a regular rectangualr matrix of small holes drilled into it spaced so as to land over the voids below. The pitch on mine is about every 1/2" there is a 1/16 hole.
    These holes line up with a series of channels that are created by creating the middle of the easel out of a series of 1/4" wide x 1" tall by about 18" long strips spaced on edge about 1/2" apart.
    They are glued to a piece of fibreboard on the bottom about 18" wide x 22" long (which is in turn glued to some plywood to lend some stiffness and mass).
    The empty void at the ends, where the strips deliberately do not reach, creates a manifold area. The manifold area is sealed around the perimeter with more strips cut to length as required. I made the end where I attach the vac holse of a bit thicker strip, so it is a bit more robust.

I have not tried to use it vertical, but it would work. I place a strip of masking tape as an alignment guide along the bottom and one edge of where I want my print, and loosely tape the mask over areas where the holes will not otherwise be covered by the paper being exposed. Sometiems I forget to turn the easel vac off after the enlarger timer is finished, and the paper cannot be picked off.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin