Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,435   Online: 796

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    A 100 or 105 will work for 6x9.

I might skip one and go straight for a 4x5 lens, though. Your enlarger will have to be higher, but not by much, and if you switch to a 4x5 enlarger some day, you will not have to get a new lens in order to print 4x5.
    Good advice.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Nikkor is in fact rated for negatives up to 6x7. I doubt that it would be good for 6x9, but there's no harm trying. Check the corners with a grain focuser if you have one. If the grain is sharp and there's no light fall off, you're good. Typically though, you'll need a 105 for the 6x9 negatives, and you could indeed use it for smaller negatives too. But be advised that the maximum achievable magnification will be less than what you get with the 80 mm objective. I don't have too many 6x9 negatives and can't see any reason to but yet another enlarging lens, so I just use the 135 mm objective I have for 4x5 negatives.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For 6x7 I use a 105mm Rodagon-G at f8 and get 32"x42" prints
    that are razor sharp (mostly Agfa APX100). Proves that it's better
    to use a slightly longer lens.

d_rookie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkroom_rookie View Post
    For 6x7 I use a 105mm Rodagon-G at f8 and get 32"x42" prints
    that are razor sharp (mostly Agfa APX100). Proves that it's better
    to use a slightly longer lens.

d_rookie
    Doesn't "prove" anything except that your 105 mm lens works. If you look at the data provided bythe lens manufacturers for their enlarging lenses you'll see that they are optimized for a range of magnification factors. Though you might not notice it, greater or lesser magnifications will be less than optimal.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Wollensak 90mm enlarging lens for 6x9, and is sharp corner to corner. According to an old catalogue this lens was designed for 6x9. If you keep your eyes peeled, you could probably find one in a bargain bin for next to nothing.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Doesn't "prove" anything except that your 105 mm lens works. If you look at the data provided bythe lens manufacturers for their enlarging lenses you'll see that they are optimized for a range of magnification factors. Though you might not notice it, greater or lesser magnifications will be less than optimal.
    True. This lens excels at 20x and works from 10-40x, according to the data. 32x42" print being 6x7 enlarged 15x, it's almost as sharp as it can get.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Enlarging lenses are so inexpensive nowadays I would pick up a 100-105 and a 135 and see which one you prefer. With the longer focal length, you might run out of height on the enlarger if you try to make large prints.

If you decide to go to 4x5, you will have a lot more expense than an enlarging lens so I would not get ahead of myself. I think a 150mm lens is too much for that enlarger.
    Jerold Harter MD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin