Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,719   Posts: 1,483,127   Online: 1158

Shooter
    8x10 Format

DIY Darkroom Flashlight

I made a safelight flashlight from a Maglite Solitaire with an LED bulb. I bought a 3mm bulb that is in the 588nm range, similar to an OC filter, a 12v battery that is 2/3 the length of a standard AAA battery, and a resistor that measures 580 ohm and 1/2 watt. I placed the resistor in a small wooden dowel pin and inserted it all into the flash light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04011.JPG   DSC04012.jpg   DSC04013.JPG  
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very cool! Does it pass safelight fog tests? I am considering putting a couple 3W Luxeon White LEDs behind a standard safelight fixture with an Amber filter. I'm curious to see how much the Amber filter cuts down on there output and if it will put out more light than the standard 15W bulb.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    This is only for making repairs on equipment in a gang darkroom without interrupting other people, so I have not checked for fogging. Since it is at 588nm, it should be fine as long as I don't get it inches from paper.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm
    On the small maglights, the ones that are one step smaller than the mini-maglight (solitaire?), you can simply pull out the dual-pronged incandescent lamp and jam in the leads from a 3mm LED. The reflector fits back on and everything.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The problem is the voltage. A standard AAA battery is 1.5 volts, and the LED I used is 2.2 volts. It would not light up with the smaller voltage. I chose to use a larger voltage battery and step it down with a resistor. And the reflector will screw on, but not all the way, so I actually drilled the hole slightly larger to get it on 100%.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin