Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,384   Online: 759

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

In-line thermometer

Hey y'all,

So I'm redoing my darkroom, and so far everything is much improved. I'm setting it up in my laundry room and I'm using the W/D hookups to do so. This is a great way to setup a darkroom w/o needing dedicated water hookups. I'd be glad to discuss how, and it's quite easy with the right plumbing.

Anyways, I'm hoping to get a little fancier this time around and I'd love to include an in-line thermometer.

I'm not opposed to spending $30 or so and getting a new one, but I'd rather explore the DIY possibilities first.

Here is one idea from the brewing circles, and although it wouldn't be dreadfully accurate, it'd probably be good enough for non-critical black & white work.

http://www.forrestwhitesides.com/node/44

And here is a more taylor-made solution, but it uses the same mechanism (those stick-on thermometers from the pet store)

http://www.breworganic.com/thrumomet...ermometer.aspx

Anyways, I think that with our powers combined, we could develop a more sophisticated and affordable solution.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Drill hole in faucet spout, insert one of these $6 specials, secure with some sort of glue. They work like a charm.

http://www.harborfreight.com/instant...ter-95382.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's certainly a thought that I had. And luckily I have a rubber tube for my last stretch, so it'd be as easy as an ice-pick and some super glue probably.

However, I just came across these.... which would be a fairly elegant solution.

http://www.allproducts.com/manufactu.../product5.html

These are going for fire-sale prices on eBay. The only concern is +/-1°C from 22-50° and +/-2° outside of that range. However, once the "slop" was established, it'd be pretty reliable.

Hmm, maybe not such a brain buster afterall...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or you could put in a T-Joint, get an End-cap drill a hole in it large enough to accomodate a dial thermometer and glue it in. It would be hard to make one that didn't leak though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As long as there is not a lot of downline back pressure, I have just taken a dial thermometer and inserted it in the almost horizontal section of the facuet head that to downstrem of the two valves.

I wrapped the junction where the stem of the thermometer goes into the faucet line with tape to cut down on the leaks.

I use self amalagamating electrical insulating tape.

The nice side effect of this connection is that you are able to twist the whole thing.

I usually twist it so that the water flow I am looking to acheive points the indicator needle straight up.

Thne a glance, without reading the dial calibrations tells you what adjustment is needed.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These alt. methods re: drilling holes and gluing give me the willies. I hope none ever fail while you're on vacation.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    These alt. methods re: drilling holes and gluing give me the willies. I hope none ever fail while you're on vacation.
    I agree, and that's why any modification I make will be after the main on/off valve
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    Seems to me I saw a neat DIY version using a T and a dial thermometer someplace. The length of the pipe was sized to the length of the dial thermometer probe. If I recall it correctly, the end used a washer fitting with a rubber cork that the thermometer went through. Then, it was screwed in place by another washer fitting, holding the stopper in. It didn't look like it would leak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul, I'm having trouble visualizing exactly how the cork was screwed in place, but I can kinda imagine it and it sounds very good.

Are you a good artist, can you draw a picture?

Something like this sounds very robust indeed..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm doing a similar thing. I had a used mixing valve that went bad so now I'm getting a new one from a plumbing supply store. After the mixer and shut off, I'm thinking of running an tee joint somewhere after the shutoff and getting a thermometer with NPT thread on it (just bought one on ebay for $20), This way I can plug in the thermometer into one of the legs of the tee and just run the water out the other leg.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin