Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,723   Online: 776

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fred
    Better highlight detail...I'm wondering if pre-flashing the paper doesn't have the same result...

But anyway...
    I'll give it a try.
    And then I think about Pan F in the first place.

Many thanks for all the answers!

Fred
    Preflashing paper will accomplish a compression of highlight tonal scale in order to compress overall negative contrast. A proportional staining developer will expand highlight tonal scale with very little effect on shadow tonal rendition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is the cool name. Who wants to be known as a D76er when they can be a Pyrocat???

Almost better than being a hepcat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have gone round and round with the pyrocat vs D76 debate. Recently I shot several scenes twice and developed one negative in both d76 and pyrocat. In all honesty I can't see any differences. Both work really well; however, IMHO they have their advantages and disadvantages.

D76 1:1 is a developer that I have used for a long time. It is simple, easy to use, and you always know what you are going to get.

Pyrocat doesn't show any great improvments for someone who is enlarging their film. (I speak as someone who rarely enlarges their 4x5 images above 11x14). I was initially interested in the dual use properties of pyrocat. This is where I see pyrocat as a big winner. As I start experimenting with Pt/Pd I can produce negatives for enlargement and Pt/Pd. Another advantage that I see is that the staining developers can have shorter developing times (Your experience may differ here) over D76.

One qualm I currently have with pyrocat is judging the stained negatives. I have looked at D76 negatives for so long that the stained negatives don't look "right". However, many of them do print quite well. I am sure that over time I will get used to looking at stained negatives. Okay, I know this is just my eyes getting used to something new. The brown stain is quite neat though!!
    Facts are facts; however, perception is reality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    " an inherently compensating effect which is why you tend to get better highlight detail. "

That's the piece of the pyro argument I don't get. Compensation requires compression of upper scale tonalities, doesn't it? ...and yet the highlight detail is supposed to be better? I wish someone would take a crack at explaining this to me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco
    " an inherently compensating effect which is why you tend to get better highlight detail. "

That's the piece of the pyro argument I don't get. Compensation requires compression of upper scale tonalities, doesn't it? ...and yet the highlight detail is supposed to be better? I wish someone would take a crack at explaining this to me.
    There is less density due to reduction of silver. That's the compensating effect. However, the stain acts as density in place of reduced silver but less so than the reduced silver would. I'm not sure of the physics involved, but it seems to yield a negative which prints better delineation of highlights without blowing them out.

I think in general it's the compensating effect which makes pyro developers so rewarding and not so much the stain. I've been using a non-pyro, very soft working developer which yields almost no stain. I find the scale just a little bit easier to match to my paper than with ABC pyro, my second choice.

But in the end, I think what Jay said is probably correct: it really doesn't make all that much difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin