Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,958   Online: 981

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wish I could snap up something like this for $500! I'd jump at the chance - the 4 blade easel is probably worth that new on its own!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If having a darkroom is worth $500 for you, and you can spare the $500, I would definitely purchase this lot! This will save you a lot of TIME and a notable amount of money over tracking all this stuff down bit by bit. Additionally, you can get the lot, set up the darkroom, and then sell off the pieces that you determine you do not need, recouping some of your investment.

P.S. Those two sets of 15x15 cm Ilford Multigrade filters would cost you $50 each if you bought them new. That grain focuser is a good one, and could prove pricey if purchased separately. Five lenses. Four extra lens boards. Is that an extra head too? It's a deal! Go for it!
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-23-2010 at 02:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    My darkroom is a converted bedroom, I do not have running water and wash my prints in the kitchen,I use a holding bath for the prints,and take them though to wash either at the end of the session or when \i have enough to wash, not a problem, as for ventilation, after every 2 prints I open the door and sort of whish it for a bit and do not get a problem, if using toners I simply leave the door open,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yay - good to know that everyone thinks my find is a good one! I am for sure getting it.

Thanks for the advice on the temporary makeshift darkroom. I have read the thread about everyone's setups and have seen some amazing darkrooms - and some very creative one's as well. My house is over 100 years old - no carpet - all hardwoods - and ventilation, ha! The old windows on this house let enough air in and out that I'm not sure they actually do anything other than keep the flies out! The shared wall between the bedroom and bathroom does indeed have a sink on it (on the bathroom side) so I suppose I could get water to the room from there. But if I can avoid a remodel - I will just tote back and forth as Richard does.

I sure am excited to start doing my own enlargements! I actually just ordered a print (in deep matte paper) from a negative scan (from my V700) so that when I do start doing my own enlargements, I have something to compare a true enlargement to (a computer print). Hoping the enlargement blows away all ink prints and I can push some clients toward the much overlooked analog side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's definitely a good deal. A couple of things to note about the enlarger. First, I see that there are 3 lamp houses with the enlarger. Two are the standard Beseler condenser heads. These are good and maybe the better choice if you will be using variable contrast papers. The small one (it looks like a silver can) is an Aristo cold light. This one uses a florescent tube for a light and may not be the greatest for variable contrast papers. Take a look at it when you get it. If the lamp is marked as model V45, it's not so good. The W54 model is better. In any case, the cost of replacement lamps is very high - if you can find one. You'll eventually need a 6x4.5 negative carrier, I didn't see one in the photos. You can always mask down the 6x6 negative carrier as a stop gap measure. The enlarger itself is a monster. I have one and I like the way it is built, but it is BIG. When the head is at its highest point with the condenser lamp house in place, the machine stands a few inches short of 5 feet tall.

Printing in the darkroom is a completely different experience from working on images generated from a scanner. Will they be better or worse? At first, they won't be better. There's a learning curve to climb; and at first it's a steep one. With persistence, you'll get there.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks Frank! I am hoping the Gentleman will show me how to use everything - and I asked about negative holders, he said he had them all. Maybe he assumed I wouldn't need the 6X4.5 because I was buying a Hasselblad, not knowing that I had the Bronica ETRS... I will ask.

I know pretty much nothing about the enlarger or heads, but am excited to learn. I am in it for the experience. I like to learn new things - and get really good at them. I will persist!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This looks like a great deal, and will make getting your darkroom set up quickly to start learning to print!!! Hope you'll post a few pix of your set up when you get it going!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see all sorts of gems in there.

For instance, I think I see a Kodak process thermometer - assuming that it is in good shape, it can probably serve as a reference thermometer for the rest of your life! Be careful with it, because if it is a mercury version it would be best not to break it.

I see as well a Sekonic hand meter - also worth having.

I note that the photos were uploaded to flickr over one year ago. Maybe there is some flexibility on the price .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Suzanne ... thought I might find you on here! (It's Katie from ILP!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your bathroom is large enough to leave the enlarger in, no problem. The 45 is pretty large & bulky but not really heavy.
    You say your house is 100 years old. That means the walls are plaster & lath it wouldn't too difficult to open the wall behind the sink & install another sink depending on what kind of pipe is there. When you move, just remove the sink & patch the wall
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin