Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,636   Online: 791

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Consider using some of the removable hooks, tape, or glue to attach blackout cloth on both sides of archway. Best option would be to have velcro on sides and top, with plenty to "bunch up" on floor. Alternatively, a piece of 1/4 x 2" molding (from Home Depot or similar) can be attached at the top of the archway with 3-4 screws, then use velcro to attach blackout cloth (I've used this method for hanging handmade quilts). Consider a length of 2x6 across the bottom for added light blocking at the floor.

There are a number of tapes and caulks that are removable (often used for winterizing homes) that may be useful.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The fabric store black out cloth works well. I use it on an open doorway from one part of a second bathroom to another. Double draped so entry and exit is possible. It's held up by a standard curtain rod and attached with velcro on opposite sides. It makes the room dark enough for handling film as long as no lights are on in the other part.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Since it's an arch, you could screw two of those hooks (that look like question marks) on either side of the door. Then, put the cloth on a curtain rod and hang the rod on those hooks. When your session is done, remove the rod but not the hooks.

What are the dimensions of the space?

Another idea when using a small sink is to have only two trays. Use one tray for developer and the other for stop, fix, etc. After removing the print from the developer, have stop in the second fix. Then, pour the stop back into a pitcher and pour in fix. And so on with other pitchers and chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Invest in a Nova FB Fibre Based Print Processor. It has really changed my life :-) You can develope large prints in a very small space. But the best thing, you DON'T need to set up, add chemicals, wash trays and pack it down everytime you print. And as an added bonus the chemistry lasts longer. Now I am able to use even 30 minutes of my spare time for darkroom work.

http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/...Processor.html

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    It doesn't say on your plan what's outside the archway. Isn't it possible to cover over whatever light sources exist beyond the archway? I once spent ages trying to rig a light tight curtaiin the middle of a long, oddly shaped, corridor when I realised that I actually only needed to cover the window in the door at the end, with a but of card... If it can be done it may be simpler and you'll end up with more space than if you closed the archway - you may not need the space to work in but the darkroom will feel less stifling, which is important if you intend to spend long periods in there.

Otherwise, if you can't attach screws or hooks to the wall, one way of holding up a curtain would be to use a "plasterers deadman". It's a device used for holding plaster boards up to the ceiling joists while you nail them up, but you can also use them horizontally to jam between two walls as a support for a curtain (they're a bit like Manfrotto Autopoles but much cheaper). Here's one from a UK catalogue, I'm sure they exist everywhere else in places like builders merchants http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14003/...n-Support-Rod# All you need to do is sew a fairly deep hem at one end of your curtain, in order to pass the pole through. Bingo, instant curtain rod.

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ah yes that would be important, outside the arch is a roll with 3 skylights and 2 large windows =) Hence its easier to block the arch than the windows.
    I'll go with the frame/rollers idea with the cloth and report back =)

Thanks for the help guys/gals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin