Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,913   Posts: 1,521,682   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Anyone built a blade easel?

Sorry if this has been addressed before. I couldn't find a definitive answer in the search. I'm wondering if any of you industrious folks has successfully built a 4 blade easel. It seems that some other purchase always trumps this one. I love my Saunders for smaller prints but the cost of a large one makes me weep. I'm pretty sure I can channel a hardwood frame with a router and get it flush to a base. It's those darn laminated blades I cant find a replacement for. They have to be rigid and un-tweakable but flat enough for a clean edge. And tell me if this is folly. My adventures in making a printwasher ended in a lot of money wasted on lexan and industrial adhesives and cost more than the secondhand Salthill I found later. Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm very happy with my store bought easel but have you checked with a machine shop to make the blades ? I've had a couple of "gagets" made at very reasonable cost.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DIY folly? No, easels aren't exacty rocket science.
    How about harvesting blades from lesser reputation 2 blade easels, maybe something like the Bogans that seem to be pretty common?

I've not investigated, but the blades for most easels are probably thin tempered steel so they can bend some and keep their shape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about an aluminum straight edge, like a metal yardstick?

Oh never mind, they need to overlap.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Casey,

Truly add up all your material costs for a home made easel. Then compare it to the cost of a good used easel. I think you will find that the difference is small enough to warrant purchasing one.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Neal, I generally agree with this out of past experience. And I'm not sure if I can even get the blade issue solved where they lay flat. But surely the materials wouldn't come anywhere near the average $400 price for a good used easel. The only cheaper Saunders I've seen is the one recently here on APUG and I believe it was $300. And I do enjoy making things for myself (when they function properly). And to add to that, there's some wicked-smart people here.

Images
    You don't say what size easel you are looking for but I paid considerably less than $300 for a serviceable used 11x14 4 blade. I believe that I bought it here, on photonet, or rangefinderforum.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Hi Casey,
    I'm selling here on APUG 4 bladed 11x14" easel for $30 OBO.
    Link is - http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...per-easel.html
    gorbas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry, I have a Saunders 11x14. I'm hoping to make a 20x24 or even a 16x20. gorbas, that is such a cool easel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Had you thought about building a vacuum easel? Thats always been my plan when I grow up and want something big.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin