Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,987   Online: 888

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Les

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What did you use to sand the platen?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hunt Corporation still sells theremostats for the Model 200 (I know this because I have one). Call 888-240-6021 ext. 5304
    Quote from a thread dated 2002. I don't know if it is still current.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    What did you use to sand the platen?
    I used wet sandpaper 220, then 440 then 600.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks like B&H sells a thermostat that could be adapted. It does not have the same mounting feet like the 200, but it is very similar.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...E_6299053.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great restoration as usual Dale. Looks like she's ready for another 50 years of service.

I love that design - like the dry mount press is staring at you, ready to eat your prints.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Great restoration as usual Dale. Looks like she's ready for another 50 years of service.

I love that design - like the dry mount press is staring at you, ready to eat your prints.
    I had never flattened prints that way before, it works very well. I suspect that for 'good' prints one would want to protect the print from both the platen and the foam with some textureless material. Mat board?? I guess one also needs a "cold press" like a piece of metal or something to hold the print flat while it cools.

I did not paint the center part because the paint can indicated it was limited to 200F, however, in use the top surface does not get that hot. So I will go ahead and paint that part also.

PS: Jeff, I got an email from someone reading as follows "....maybe interested in parting with one of the [8x10] Horizontal Devere's..."
    I can't post a picture on the PM, so I'm hijacking the thread to show it here. PM me if you have any interest.

Last edited by ic-racer; 11-11-2010 at 06:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I had never flattened prints that way before, it works very well. I suspect that for 'good' prints one would want to protect the print from both the platen and the foam with some textureless material. Mat board?? I guess one also needs a "cold press" like a piece of metal or something to hold the print flat while it cools.
    That's exactly what I do - a piece of archival mat board on the top and bottom, and then the prints go into a large coffee table book of Ansel Adams. I hope maybe some good karma rubs off onto my images as they cool.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Nice job!

I have the same model. I picked mine up at a camera swap meet eons ago. It's always worked well for me.

One thing that I notice. I think that I probably have the original cord, and it's much thicker than the cord attached to your press. It's very heavy duty, probably a half inch in diameter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Got my new foam rubbert base and I painted the upper portion. Pictures to follow...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another material for cooling and flattening is glassine, you can buy in a roll about a meter long and cut up. I have a dozen or so "folders" of this stuff (for each print size) that I use to put one print into each, then the board on top and bottom. This puts 2 layers of the glassine between each print, and the prints can be stored in the glassine folders till mounting, inside old paper boxes or 10 sheet packs. They stay flat till framing. I was told by an art conservator that this is good material for this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin