Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,611   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Chemical storage - why don't they......?

Was having a random thought about storing chemicals and wondered why...?

Plastic seems to leach oxygen into the liquid, oxidising it;
    Glass is the preferred option as this doesn't leach oxygen, though;
    A partially filled glass bottle has oygen in contact with the fluid - oxidising it.

Why don't glass bottles come with a thin floating lid inside them to minimise the contact area with the oxygen in the part filled bottle?

Not sure how this would be done - but they do get ships inside bottles

Then I got carried away with thoughts of bottles like bar optics; upside down on a rack with "twiddle" knobs to dispense at the base and floating lids!

Just a thought, but why not?

Sim2.
    *dreaming*

Shooter
    35mm
    If you were so inclined you could always draw a vacuum on the glass bottle then fill it with an inert gas after every use, or have it hooked to a lightly pressurized inert gas canister so you had a dispenser style system with inert gas as the propellant.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Or just fill the bottle with glass marbles until the fluid level reaches the top. I know, not brainstorming the OT but I have always tried to ascribe to any KISS method applicable, myself.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ---or--- only fill it half way, evacuate and re-pressurize with 2 atm of Nitrogen, turn up-side down with a dispensing spigot.

Evacuation is a bit tricky - water boils in a vacuum...
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Christopher Walrath;1090306]Or just fill the bottle with glass marbles./QUOTE]

I tried that - forgot the bottle was full of marbles when I poured. One heck of a mess... Don't do it with a wide-mouth bottle.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They did make metal containers with floating lids and bottom spigots at one time. I have 2 of the cans with no lids. I also have a heavy duty plastic container with floating lid and spigot. These were very handy, but have vanished as time went by.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
    have it hooked to a lightly pressurized inert gas canister so you had a dispenser style system with inert gas as the propellant.

Ooooo, I like this one - just need to rig it up to a multi-outlet handheld dispenser like they use for soft drinks. Nothing can go wrong here!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I also have a heavy duty plastic container with floating lid and spigot. These were very handy, but have vanished as time went by.

PE

Now I remember that at one agency we had big plastic containers with floating lids to feed the E6 dip and dunk, also for the Mutigrade print processor - but I reckon the 2 litres or so of chemicals I use now would be like a small puddle in the base of these monsters

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Or just fill the bottle with glass marbles until the fluid level reaches the top. .
    Yep, this is the sensible solution that I know I will end up with. As you say, KISS.

But oh, the dreams of automated pressurized non-oxidised chemicals on demand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Or just fill the bottle with glass marbles until the fluid level reaches the top. I know, not brainstorming the OT but I have always tried to ascribe to any KISS method applicable, myself.
    I did this with a gallon of paper developer. By the time I had used 3/4s of it, I could hardly life and accurately pour from the bottle. That was the last time I did that. I bought accordian bottles. Yes, sometimes they leak in air.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin