Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,048   Online: 872

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One advantage of the rope lights would be that they would make it easier to illuminate your entire darkroom. There is nothing quite as frustrating as having a safelight that forces you to stand only in certain places, because otherwise you find that you are blocking the light with your own body.

I note that the amber rope light at that "orangetree" link also features a "most beautiful and romantic warm glow". I can't say that I've ever worked in a darkroom that offered a "most beautiful and romantic warm glow" .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    = There is nothing quite as frustrating as having a safelight that forces you to stand only in certain places, because otherwise you find that you are blocking the light with your own body.
    I have learned those pitfalls.

I now tend to multiple low wattage units. Two 7.5w and one 5w in the dry/wet darkroom, and 3x 7.5w in the laundry room when I print larger than 11x14 and spill the trays out onto the washer and dryer tops.

All usually OC, but I do have Rubylith gel filters to swap in when I want a brighter look when working with only Ortho materials.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I note that the amber rope light at that "orangetree" link also features a "most beautiful and romantic warm glow". I can't say that I've ever worked in a darkroom that offered a "most beautiful and romantic warm glow" .
    I noticed that as well! Nothing says romance like orange light and the smell of stop bath.... =)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

i also was frustrated all the time about the "darkness" but with the 1 watt i can read the newspaper while developing

thomas
    Last edited by pcyco; 11-19-2010 at 03:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    --------------------------------------------------
    vfdkv (259)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Pcyco,

just remember to get back with the details about that LED light - I am interested.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

today i visit my darkroom.

so i hope, i dont forget.

thomas
    vfdkv (259)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don\'t have a bright darkroom. I use a few small 5x7 housings that I\'ve collected cheap over the years to illuminate specific work areas and let the rest of the room be dark if the white lights are off.

Searching the floor is a little hard if I drop something, since there\'s little illumination outside the spots. But I never worry about fogging anything.
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 11-19-2010 at 05:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I'm a frugal photog too

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I don\'t have a bright darkroom. I use a few small 5x7 housings that I\'ve collected cheap over the years to illuminate specific work areas and let the rest of the room be dark if the white lights are off.

Searching the floor is a little hard if I drop something, since there\'s little illumination outside the spots. But I never worry about fogging anything.
    The Thomas Duplex safelight was a salvaged from my work place. It was 10 years ago when the university started closing darkrooms at reasearch labs. I also got an Arkay tumbling print washer too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

im back from the darkroom.

on the ledbulb is only printed:

philips deco led red 1 w 230-240V E9 50-60Hz

--

thomas
    vfdkv (259)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks, Pcyco! Now let's see if I can find one of these...

Is it a E27 screw-in or does have some other configuration? I can never remember if the safelight for orthocromatic papers should be above or below 610 nm? If below, could a green LED with a spectrum of 510-540 nm work?

But I guess dark green is even darker than red, right?
    Last edited by Jerevan; 11-19-2010 at 05:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin