Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,726   Online: 899

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Leitz V35 Color - VC grade equivalents?

I've wanted to get a VC head for this enlarger for a long time, but they are really hard to come by. Until I do come across one, I'd like to get the grade equivalents for the magenta and yellow channels for equal exposure times. In other words I want to be able to use the same times for the different grades much like grade filters or a VC head. I have a chart that I came across somewhere for Ilford MG paper, but the times really aren't equivalent for the various grades.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have this info in an Ilford brochure. I'll take a look for it tomorrow.
    -rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

From Leica Photography Magazine some time in the 1980`s. Article by Rudolth Seck. I only have the chart in my darkroom and it crumbled when i took it down for this. The mags are in storage.

Grade - Yellow - Magenta - Exposure factor
    0 ----- 120 ---- ------------ 3.0
    .5 90 2.5
    1 60 2.0
    1.5 45 1.7
    2 30 1.6
    2.5 15 1.2
    3 normal 0
    3.5 15 1.3
    4.0 30 1.5
    4.5 90 2.0
    5 200 2.5

The advantage of using the color mod is so normal or near normal grades have faster printing speed. You could start adding extra neutral density to middle grades to even out the eposure factor. 30 each YMC is one stop. 60 is two. This is how the VC module is calibrated so you lose a bunch of speed to maintain the same exposure factor. When I look at mine it is just a yellow to magenta graduated filter controled by a single dial.
    I don`t use it much.

0= extra soft
    1=soft
    2=special
    3=normal
    4=hard
    5=extra hard

Like all VC exposure compensation, it is for middle grey. Whites and blacks are different. Add some extra if you want the blacks to be the same. Subtract some if you want the whites the same. The VC module works the same way as do VC filters

Upon entry, the program ran all the colums together. I can`t fix it. Less than grade 3, Use only yellow. Greater than 3, use only magenta. Sorry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If I understand what you are saying, then I should be able to get grades 0-4.5 by applying the appropriate neutral density to the mid-ranges. I like that approach because I find that my printing times are too short any for 6x9 inch prints which is my normal size for 35mm. Thanks Ron!
    Last edited by Mark Fisher; 11-23-2010 at 08:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: MISTAKE!

Glad you understand.

And the bit about adding and subtracting time is opposite if you are going up or going down in contrast.

I don`t know anyone who prints for middle grey. You either make proper whites and change contrast to make the blacks correct, or make the blacks correct and change contrast to make the whites correct. I work with whites.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    These are the numbers that I have for using the dual filter method. Taken from the Ilford Product Data Guide.
    -Rob

grade 00 120Y 0M
    grade 0 88Y 6M
    grade .5 78Y 8M
    grade 164Y 12M
    grade 1.5 53Y 17M
    grade 2 45Y 24M
    grade 2.5 35Y 31M
    grade 3 24Y 42M
    grade 3.5 17Y 53M
    grade 4 10Y 69M
    grade 4.5 6Y 89M
    grade 5 0Y 130M
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Rob. I'll have to check that out!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin