Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,855   Online: 948

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If this is a DIY project: 6 inch pipe would not be sufficient for the 30 inch side of the paper. You would need ~6.5 inch diameter tubing which would be hard to find. So you could get 8 inch tubing which will accommodate the 40 inch side and then use a 30+ inch length of it. Not all PVC pipe is light proof from what I understand. If you used 36 inch wallpaper troughs, you could leave one end of the tube open and spin the tubes in the trough under safelight.

I think the largest Jobo tank is the 3063 for 20x24 inch.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    FYI. 32 inch wallpaper tray for ~$4:

http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...y--640616.aspx

Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Steve

Are you using it for film or print?
    Jobo made 30x40 drums for print.
    The drums I have are for prints only. They should not be used for film.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can buy ventilation pipes that are 31 1/2 inches in diameter, made of PP - polypropylene. They're grey, but the wall is 5/8" thick, so should be completely opaque. A 6-foot piece would allow you to process a 72x90" RA4 print, that is if you find a solution for even development.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I made my own print drum from thin walled 8in. pvc irrigation pipe 40in long. For the paper channels I used 36in pvc blades from a cheap Levelor type blind and for the sealed end, a flat piece of pvc cut to fit and drilled to accept a 2in pvc elbow and on the inside surface a 5in. pvc light and splash baffle. All components were glued using pvc pipe cement. An 8in pvc pipe cap fits the open end and I attached a thick piece of pvc, heated and bent to form a handle for the cap was glued to the cap. The cap is leak proof in use with no gasket necessary. I made paper channels for 16x20, 20x24 and 24x38 in paper. I had to make a roller base for it and it clamps to the counter and all rotation is done by hand. It has worked so well that I use it for all my large prints and when I need to make prints from 50x80 in. or longer, I use troughs made of the same pvc pipe cut in half and legs glued to the troughs made from thick pvc flats or 1in pvc pipe heat bent and formed into a cradle and legs and glued to the troughs. With the troughs the biggest print I can make by my self without help is 50x96in. Because the PVC is white, it is not light proof so processing must take place under safelight. I will try to get some pictures of the tube and post them if anyone is interested. I have posted pictures of my mural troughs before so a search should locate them if you are interested. Incidentally, I can process two 16x20 prints in the drum at the same time and although 16oz. of chemistry will cover the prints, for safety sake I always use a liter just to be safe and it will still have enough capacity for two more 16x20's before exhaustion. All the above information refers to color prints. Black and white chemistry has much more capacity. When printing color prints with such large tubes, NEVER use a prewet to heat the tube as it causes staining and uneven development. If you need to heat a large drum use a hair dryer or other form of dry heat.
    Denise Libby

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Denise, I'd be very interested to see some pictures of the print drum you described at the beginning of your post. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Not all PVC pipe is light proof from what I understand. If you used 36 inch wallpaper troughs, you could leave one end of the tube open and spin the tubes in the trough under safelight.
    ABS pipe also comes in 8in diameter, and that should be totally light proof. Making a light trap might be troublesome, but is certainly possible. Just use on of the Unicolor tube as a template.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkroom_rookie View Post
    Denise, I'd be very interested to see some pictures of the print drum you described at the beginning of your post. Thanks.
    I second that!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here are some pictures of the drum I made from PVC. The size limit on the lid says 24x32 but most often I make 24x38in as the drum easily accommodates that size also notice the home made roller. PVC rollers cut from 1/4 in stock and bushed with 1/4 brass bushing. Works like a charm.
    Denise Libby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drum 002-1-1.JPG   drum1-1.JPG  
    Last edited by archer; 12-03-2010 at 02:20 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forget to attach images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That looks great! So the baffle prevents any splashing of the chemicals before the rotation begins. Kind of like the Unicolor drum, just bigger. Is the upper position of the elbow at the sealed end tangential to the gap between the blades/paper channels?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin