Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,449   Online: 773

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Line conditioner - specific or not?

I took a walk to my local camera shop this afternoon and found an item that I have a seriou knowledge deficit on. They only wanted $10 so I chanced my lunch money and bought it.

It is a Beseler dual dicro/dga stabilized power supply. The lamp output is 24v-250 watts (450watts max) and is part number 8191.
    What have I got here and are these made specific to a particular enlarger or can it be hooked up to either my Omega d2 or Ilford 500H?

Is it of any benefit, I mean does it improve the line voltage? Where I live the power is pretty good but I imagine that it could always be improved so if there are no down sides ( like smoke coming out of my 500H ) will it be worthwhile?

Thanks for any advice. I've always read about line conditioners but don't know enough except to be dangerous and that they are normally expensive.
    To find the answers .... Question them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's good if your lamp is a 24v lamp. It's useless if you're running a standard tungsten lamp like the PH212. I have one for my Omega Chromega II lamp house and it does help even out any fluctuations in the line voltage. I could use one that outputs 110 volts for the Beseler 45 with a condenser lamp house.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    I could use one that outputs 110 volts for the Beseler 45 with a condenser lamp house.
    Try a Sola CVS constant voltage transformer. There is usually a selection on ebay. There is no point in getting any more wattage than you need - the rating is given on the nameplate as "VA" (volt-amperes). Also, don't get one rated at fewer watts than the lamp as they are also current regulated. A 60W(VA) CVS transformer will supply 60VA to a 150W lamp - not what anyone wants.

They are heavy beasts - shipping can sometimes cost more than the transformer.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Nick said.. I have a 250VA Sola CVS bolted with a pair of lag screws into a stud in the wall, to feed the analyser/timer, and the omega supply that feeds my Chromega II head.

I found it for $60 used at a local camera shop, and lugged it home. I would not want to pay freight on this thing.

The down side is the hum. I switch it off to shut down the noise of the tx, and tx in the omega p/s as well as the fan in the colour head. I like processing my films in silence. It is virtually the only silence I get all week.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone! If anyone local to Raleigh wants it - it is free to a good home.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel+ View Post
    Thanks everyone! If anyone local to Raleigh wants it - it is free to a good home.
    I'm not in Raleigh, but could use it if you are willing to ship it.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jeff I'd be happy to ship it to you. You can have it for your cost of shipping.
    PM sent - let me know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A line conditioner maintains a consistent bulb brightness. Even though you do not see the fluctuations in voltage, the fluctuations are there. You may notice them in brown out conditions.

It would be wise to keep the line conditioner and use it.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Even though you do not see the fluctuations in voltage, the fluctuations are there. You may notice them in brown out conditions.
    Steve, What do you mean by that?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    What Nick said.. I have a 250VA Sola CVS bolted with a pair of lag screws into a stud in the wall, to feed the analyser/timer, and the omega supply that feeds my Chromega II head.

I found it for $60 used at a local camera shop, and lugged it home. I would not want to pay freight on this thing.

The down side is the hum. I switch it off to shut down the noise of the tx, and tx in the omega p/s as well as the fan in the colour head. I like processing my films in silence. It is virtually the only silence I get all week.
    Thanks Nick and Mike. I have a transformer and battery backup in my office for my computer gear. The safety is required, but the noise does bother me. Is there another technology or brand that is quieter, that would address both the clean power need and the sound problem?

John Powers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin