Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,395   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

DIY digital enlarger timer!

so i am a bit of a geek and needed a new enlarger timer...

i wanted a nice digital one, but those are pricey even used, so i made my own. basically it is an arduino and a relay, power supply and a cut up extension cord... i have been planning it for a few weeks, and took me about five hours to slam together tonight and it works like a charm

http://jadedoto.net/index.php/2010/1...nlarger-timer/ has all the pics, schematics and code if you are interested. whaddaya think?

it is programmed to either count up or down, in half second increments... with a focus button. of course, since it is software, i can change the time increments, but for me half a second is plenty good resolution....
    Vincent Purcell
    Lexington KY Photographer + Media Artist
    http://vincenttpurcell.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Could you make a small one that's attached to a piston that can actuate a shutter release cable to use for timed exposure... E.g. You set the time and an electric piston pushes the shutter release cable and keeps it depressed for 2hrs or however you want your exposure to be... Now that would be cool!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    well, the device does run on a 9v battery and there are smaller versions... it would be trivial to modify to that with a servo... but for another day, my friend

however, if you would like to, i would love to see it!
    Vincent Purcell
    Lexington KY Photographer + Media Artist
    http://vincenttpurcell.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by heespharm View Post
    Could you make a small one that's attached to a piston that can actuate a shutter release cable to use for timed exposure... E.g. You set the time and an electric piston pushes the shutter release cable and keeps it depressed for 2hrs or however you want your exposure to be... Now that would be cool!!!
    #2 here, say from 1/30 to ~5 seconds.
    I looked the programming, ie:opened, said ? and closed it. Geez.
    Ever see someting similar in a kit or semi kit?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    VERY nice.... You might want to write up an article and put it in APUG as blog or something. Every few weeks, someone asks about DIYing timers here. Just one suggestion... you might want to add a diode across the coil of the relay to protect the driving transistor from transient voltage.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is pretty cool. I broke the timer that came with my CB7 (or rather it was electrically broken, and I've not physically broken it). I dare say I may have to go ahead and make one of these. Thanks for posting!
    Last edited by Anthony J. Martinez; 05-09-2011 at 05:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think you meant 1.5A/120V relay.

I would consider making it work in f/stop increments rather than linear increments.

Also, I would cram a PSU in that box so I didn't need a 9V battery.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Could certainly be programmed that way. I may or may not do that when I build mine. Haven't decided yet. Need to keep doing diff eq until my brain explodes so I can't possibly screw it up on a final I have coming up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I built one from a Parallax Basic Stamp a while ago. Worked pretty well, I could switch between F-stop timing and .1S increments. Never made it into a box before I had to take the darkroom down :-(

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Vincent;

I did something like this back in the 1970's using all 7400 series TTL logic packages, and the rectified pulses off the power supply as a source of clock pulses. Setting the time was done by turning rotary switches to the desired indicated time. Then a push-button started it running. I think your method takes fewer parts than mine did, but then, at that time, the Intel 4004 was out, and the 8008 was just about to appear. And, there was no "programming;" it was all hardwired logic. When I left, the box was still working, but I do not know if anyone still there really knew what it did.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin