Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,282   Online: 957

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Timer.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Darkroom Timer.

Please can anyone point me in direction where I can buy a timer to be used in conjunction with my JOBO CPE2.
    Many thanks
    Albi.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Generally you would not run the Jobo directly from a timer, rather, you monitor a timer and empty and fill the tanks at the required intervals.
    Thus any timer that you find convienient can be used. Many people use simple electronic kitchen timers.
    The choices range from iPhone/iPod/PDA/Computer apps to a wristwatch.
    I happen to use a Gra-Lab 300 style clock face seconds timer. There are programable timers that are specific to darkroom use which allow you to program the times for each step of your process. Some of the iPhone/PDA apps allow that as well. My preference has always been to keep it simple however.
    Kitchen supply shops, photographic dealers, ebay, classified ads are good sources, but there are lots of possibilities. If you can let us know where you are, people can make specific recommendations.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you bedial for your reply. I live in the UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have several of the old Unicolour Jingle Bell timers with the stops preset for different processes. I use them with a roller base instead of a Jobo, but it is basically the same idea. Plus no batteries and no electrical outlet.

Only downside is they can only ding at 30 second intervals, so if you need 3:15 you have to do 3:00 plus count a few seconds in your head.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a simple electronic kitchen timer. Since the only really time sensitive step in the whole B&W process is development, there's no need for multiple timers.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm RF
    you really do not need a timer for Jobo, anything electronic counting seconds and minutes will do.
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I dont use a jobo machine, but I use a $4* wall clock from Target (A chain store here in the US.) when developing film and paper. It works fine as long as you pay attention to the time.

I think I read a post on APUG (or maybe photo.net or flickr) that someone uses a metronome and counts the clicks, but it might be hard to find a metronome as cheap as a cheap timer or clock. Seriously, cant beat a $4 wall clock on the cheapness scale.

*Note: I dont know how much 4USD is in the UK. I live in Alabama
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the usual Graylab timer. Super easy to set, just spin the hands to where you want them. One thing I'd like different is to have a "Ding" rather than a continuous buzzer at the end of the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These days I use an app on my IPhone to time development called chronolite.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A Patterson Triple Timer would be a good, inexpensive choice for the UK.

You don't mention what you do with the CPE. If you do color, a programmable timer like the RH Designs Processmaster II (UK company) would be handy but much more costly. For B&W you could use anything from a clock, to an iPhone app, to a proper process timer.
    Jerold Harter MD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin