Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,409   Online: 783

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

DIY 4x5 enlarger and LED head

Hello folks,

I'd like to share a substantial update I've made to my modified enlarger project. This project is converting a small medium format enlarger (a Beseler 23C) into a large format enlarger, and building a light source for it.

I've rebuilt a new enlarger, and I have a new version of the LED head. It can be seen at:

http://www.deadbread.com/crumbs/23c.html

I've been working on this for many months. I'd love to hear your comments!

(Hey, cool! This is exactly my 100th posting here.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really cool! Thank you for taking the time to set the page up. It is super informative! I'm thinking about modifying my enlarger in a similar way. I already ordered couple 3W RGB LEDs and was planning to use one or two of them in mixing chamber of my dichroic enlarger. It's so good to know that UV LEDs are not necessary, I was really worried about that. From your experience, do you think
    3W LED would be enough for 6x7 enlarger, or should I get something more powerful?

Thanks, Eugene.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh oh..the gears in my head are turning. Am I going to get rid of my 45mx dichroic color head? Does the annoying cooling fan justify changing over to LED technology? Great website link!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thank you for sharing this. I think I have a new project for my holiday vacation.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

t h a n k s

thomas
    --------------------------------------------------
    vfdkv (259)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is partially over my head (particularly the bit about the power connections that you had to finagle), but I am utterly wowed and impressed! Thank you for sharing this!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fantastic work!

From the looks of it, the blue LED puts out too much green. The UV LED puts out no green, that it why it works better.

You could cut up a #5 filter and put the little pices over each blue LED. It should not make it much slower, because you would only be blocking the unwanted extra green coming through.

Certainly fertile ground experimentation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I found something odd with my LED head. The first print I made was with both green and blue LEDs on and as expected (hoped) the print was of medium contrast. The next print I made was with just the blue LEDs. That too was as expected - higher contrast, possibly grade 3.5

The strange thing was that both exposures were for the same time.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You did not mention it, but I think you discovered that the farther the diffuser is from the LEDS the more of a hot spot you get in the middle. So you are making the LED grid bigger than 4x5" right?

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great article, very clear, informative and helpful. Thanks!

Pinky! To the lab...

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin