Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,212   Online: 840

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Omega D-II

DKT

here's a couple of links to some Omega guides & pdf's of the manuals for the D2 anyways, plus the service manual...

http://www.darkroompro.com/equipment...ers/index.html

this one has some pix of the different models, including the older condenser heads etc:

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/index.html

You might want to check the counterbalance springs--these need to move easily & be free of rust. Be careful you don't pinch your fingers...those lenses you list--the tessar & the wollensak are dogs. Sorry--I'd look for some more modern lenses, like a rodenstock, nikkor or schneider. Those lense are probably as old the enlarger..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback so far. Prices look decent on modenr enlarger lenses, so I'll probably snatch up a set of those then.

Next step would be to find out what condenser it has, and which ones are avaialble at the shop. It seems to have the D Series Standard Condenser Lamphouse on it. How would I go about getting to the condenser and identifying it?
    Last edited by Sjixxxy; 08-27-2004 at 04:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Bad hyperlink

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That silver cylinder houses the condensor lenses. If the lenses are the full diameter of the housing, then they are the standard 4x5" condensor set. If they are smaller, then they are for smaller formats. The 4x5" set will let you do all formats up to that size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the 4x5 condensors are something like 6" in diameter.
    maybe it is just the d3v's that have the extra condensor that slips in above the 4x5 condensors ... there is a diagram when you flip the door that says "this way" for 35mm, and "this way" for medium format ...
    if i can dig mine up, i'll post a snapshot of it, just incase you need to know what to look for -

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you end up needing condensors, let me know and you can have them for the cost of shipping. I've got all three.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't worry too much about condensers for other than 4x5. They work just as well for 35mm but at a lower efficiency. I have the 35mm condenser set and the only difference is about one stop loss - easily compensated for. Can't go the other way though.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello. I am new to this online community. Just did a google search on "Omega DII enlarger" and came across this site.

I just bought a DII enlarger over the weekend at a garage sale. It also came with a bunch of darkroom goodies:tons of relatively new paper, 2 50mm lenses, 1 75mm lense, 9 trays, 3 tongs, a bunch of chemicals, 2 timers, filter set, etc. (It did not come with a safelight however!!!! Can I simply get a red bulb at home depot without buying an official safelight?) He wanted $200 for the lot; and I got it for $100 bucks. Seemed like a great deal, but I bought it from a young guy, and you may not get as good of a deal at professional's store.

This is my first enlarger I have ever purchased, and boy is it a beast!! Very cool though.

I noticed on an earlier link, that someone posted a pdf file for D2 instructions, but does anyone know where I can find free instructions for the DII. The DII is actually an earlier forefather of the D2. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Huram

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could use a deep red bulb (not the pinkish red) from HD with some mods- take a jar of model paint, red, and carefully paint in any pinholes in the coating on the bulb. Be especially sure to cover the glass near the base, thats usually the weakest part of the coating. Frequent inspection to the coating is a good idea as heat will sometimes make more pinholes. Try to get a low wattage bulb, maybe 25watt.
    That said if you can get a *real* safelight you are better off.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, glbeas, for the safelight hint. You are right -- it would be better to simply get a safelight. My local photograph store is selling them for 20-40 bucks. A home depot red bulb costs 99 cents. Ebay has some good deals, but it takes a few days to find the right one and to wait for shipment. I will probably go ahead and do the latter, although I appreciate the red model glue idea.

Anyone know where I can get a free copy of DII instructions?

Huram

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's not that complicated an enlarger, but if you need a manual, you can get a copy from classic-enlargers.com for a small fee, or just read through the D-II threads on the Omega forum there, and most anything that you might have a question about is covered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin