Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,291   Online: 906

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Zone VI cold light head probe was supplied wired to a three-pin DIN socket, as used in old audio equipment. The socket was mounted on the surface of the head. The Zone VI compensating timer and the older stabilizer had captive cable with DIN plugs if I remember correctly. The wiring of the sensor is as follows, using two core (black and red) with shielding:

Photodiode end: black wire to the cathode, which is identified by a small reference hole through the base- see the pdf spec sheet, and
    red wire to the other pin. The shield is not connected.

DIN socket end: Black wire to pin 1, red wire to pin 2, shield to pin 3 and linked to the metal case of the socket.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks john-s.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Additional Background Product Information

A recent discussion with Louise at Voltarc/LCD has shed some additional light on the subject of the new replacement lamp grids for the Aristo VCL4500 and VCL8100 cold light heads. I thought I'd share some of her responses to a few of my questions for those who might find them useful.

On the subject of how the original Aristo VCL lamp grids age with use:

"As both [blue and green] lamps are used, the nanometer output of the given lamp will change over time. The more the lamp is used, the more it will age and the phosphor will degrade. The strongest output of any lamps will be in the 1st hundred hours of its use. After this time it goes into its "median age" - think of a bell curve and it will slowly go down in strength. Replacement of the lamps on the down side of the curve is dependent of the photographer and how much he’s willing to lengthen his timing to compensate for the lamps aging.

"Usually at the end of a lamp’s life the nanometer output and its ability to make the chemical reaction is very low. The lamp has a harder time to recover from exposure to exposure. The lamp is basically telling you that it’s done and will shortly - electrically die.

"Historically most customers have bought both the blue and green lamps as a set when they were replacing the lamps."

On some of the design trade-offs in the original VCL units:

"The VCL units were not built to have fast exposure rates. Exposure times of a few seconds to a minute or two is not uncommon depending on the hours on the lamps and what the photographer wanted to do. My understanding was they were built to allow photographers control of their environment as much as possible."

On possible design improvements in the upcoming new replacement VCL lamps:

"With everything equal and both [original Aristo] lamps on for the same time, the green phosphor will degrade faster than the blue. It’s the nature of the phosphor. I’ve requested engineering to see if they can optimize the phosphor output on these [new] lamps - in particular on achieving a better maintenance curve on both phosphors – if that is possible."

On the history behind the green-dimmable VCL units originally offered by Aristo. In their standard configuration VCL heads modify the color of light by varying only the blue tube output. The green tube remains constant. The later green dimmable models also allowed the green tube ouput to be varied as well:

"The dimmable green option came about from a request of photographers in Germany. It seemed to be a club who wanted to play with the variation of both blue and green lamps. Aristo was not given any information as to why they wanted this option, but decided to offer it to others who may also want to play with it."

I thought these responses by Louise to my questions valuable enough to get them into the APUG archives for future reference.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats good ,at least this shows some interest and promise.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since today is the last day of January, 2011 I thought a progress update might be in order. Here's the latest information I have.

From a January 25 email from Louise Kessler, in response to my question regarding progress on the new manufacturing run of Aristo VCL4500 and VCL8100 replacement lamps:

"I JUST got the p/n’s [part numbers for the new VCL lamps] from engineering… so things are moving…"

And from January 31 (this afternoon), this:

"Very close to issuing [final price] quotes… need final review with the VP’s. I’m pushing for the end of the week."

So things do appear to continue moving in a positive direction, albeit just a little bit slower than anticipated. If you have any specific questions regarding these new lamps, or anything else Aristo product-related, Louise asks that you contact her at:

or alternatively, at:

She may also be reached directly by telephone at:

203-799-7877 ext 3163

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    BTW, who can tell me where VCL-GR-DIMMER can be bought?

I bought green and blue lamp (before Aristo closed) to replace with my VCL8100, but they are not color tube , they are all white tube at unlighted.

My problem is the green light too strong and blue light can't make paper black enough.
    Before I turn at grade 2 can get normal image, but I must turn at grade 4.4 to get close image.

Do you know how to solve this problem?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG. Good to have you here.

Quote Originally Posted by infoto View Post
    BTW, who can tell me where VCL-GR-DIMMER can be bought?
    Since Aristo is no longer in business, you will need to contact Louise Kessler directly and ask her if any of these dimmers are still available. They most likely will not be, but it never hurts to ask. Her email address is: louise.kessler@voltarc.com

I bought green and blue lamp (before Aristo closed) to replace with my VCL8100, but they are not color tube , they are all white tube at unlighted.
    My understanding is that these non-colored tubes were called "clear sets" and were designed for commercial applications. They were a lesser quality tube set that did not produce as pure a light as the standard colored lamp tubes. Because of this they were also less expensive.

My problem is the green light too strong and blue light can't make paper black enough.

Before I turn at grade 2 can get normal image, but I must turn at grade 4.4 to get close image.

Do you know how to solve this problem?
    When I bought my unit I had the same problem. My green tube was too strong and my blue tube was too weak. I temporarily fixed it by placing a CC60M (60 units of magenta, or minus-green) filter between the lamp grids and the diffusing sheet.

This moved the color of the light mixture closer to blue by removing some of the excess green. I was then able to get a full range of contrasts from 0-5. This also caused the overall light intensity to be reduced, which then required longer exposure times.

Remember that the purpose of this thread is to give owners of the Aristo VCL4500 and VCL8100 units a chance to purchase replacement lamp grids from a brand new manufacturing run that is about to happen. I believe these will be the original colored tube lamps. So if you think you might be interested in new lamps, you should email Louise at the address above and ask to be place on her interest list.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Patience is indeed a virtue...

I just received the following email from Louise regarding the new VCL4500 and VCL8100 replacement lamps:

"Just got the go ahead to send out the quote to all who asked to be on the list… Give me until tomorrow to start sending them out… I just need to organize the e-mail for everyone..."

So if you have at all been sitting on the fence regarding whether you wanted to place yourself on the interest list, now would be a good time to contact Louise. I do not know the quantity of lamps that will be produced in this new manufacturing run.

Louise may be reached at any of the following:

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the update, Ken.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This afternoon Louise sent the following announcement to everyone on her interest list seeking new replacement lamps for the Aristo VCL4500 variable contrast cold light head:

"To Everyone:

"I know all of you have been anxious about getting replacement lamps for the Aristo VCL4500 model. It’s been a long road and we are very close to getting the lamps into full production. Right now I’ve been given the go ahead to accept orders for the Aristo VCL4500 Series of replacement lamps. Attached is a quote that you can review. Any questions - let me know and I’ll try to answer."

[Click here to see the attached quote. --Ken]

"Right now we are about 5-7 weeks out, possibly sooner. Putting your order requests in with your address and CC to hold it does help to put pressure on the production end to keep moving. (then I can be a squeaky wheel on your behalf to keep pushing them.) Your CC card will not be charged until the lamps are ready to ship.

"On the quote tended - the freight cost is for UPS ground/Continental US only - for one lamp or if you purchase two lamps. It is most advisable to purchase two lamps as a set. You will need to keep the bars that Aristo mounted the lamps onto. We are supplying the lamp only.

"For those of you that are overseas - I would need to quote the shipping cost individually based on your physical address - please no PO boxes.

"(No US Parcel Post will be used for shipments - too many lamps lost or broken over the years.)

"I look forward to hearing from you.

"Best Regards,
    Louise M. Kessler
    LCD Lighting, Inc.
    Voltarc
    37 Robinson Blvd.
    Orange, CT 06477
    Tel 1-203-799-7877 ext 3163
    Fax 1-203-795-5267
    email: louise.kessler@voltarc.com
    email: lkessler@LCDL.com"

[Edit: Just a thought here. If you do decide to place an order, it might be safer to simply scan your credit card and send Louise the image if you are ordering via email. Text representations of your card information might not be such a good idea, as emailing Louise directly is not a secure ordering channel.]

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 02-17-2011 at 06:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit]...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin