Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,014   Online: 670

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    hi
    contact rh designs i am sure they can tell you about where to get a connector.
    mitch
    Last edited by mitch brown; 12-27-2010 at 10:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    mitch brown

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Anybody interested in swapping exposure probe for footswitch?? Does footswitch has other functions beside ON/OFF?? Like "focusing"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
    Anybody interested in swapping exposure probe for footswitch?? Does footswitch has other functions beside ON/OFF?? Like "focusing"?
    No focusing function that I can see, it does let you use the burn function.

BTW the connector looks like a four pin DIN, check local electronic suppliers or maybe even audio shops. Here is the reference but if you can just take the controller along to the store and they might be able to match it. They might not have the locking style but should be able to help. Here, on the other coast I'd go to RAE.

http://www.amphenol.info/downloads/40_c091_abd_e.pdf

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    thanks for all the info guy's does the fan turn off on the units you have ? mine run's all the time. is there a relay some where thas bad? any helpgreatly appreciated.
    mitch
    mitch brown

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Thank you for the link George!
    G

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wager123 View Post
    thanks for all the info guy's does the fan turn off on the units you have ? mine run's all the time. is there a relay some where thas bad? any helpgreatly appreciated.
    mitch
    On mine the fan comes on when power supply is switched on, switches off after a while then runs periodically presumably under control of a heat sensor somewhere, as it doesn't run when lamps are switched off for a spell, but runs quite frequently during periods of activity ie lamps being switched on and off for focussing and exposing.
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    Mine has the connector with all flat pins, it uses 2 150 lamps for a total of 300 watts. The parts manual I downloaded a while ago shows the connector with the round pin, it also shows the lamps as 300 watts each. As best I can tell there were two version of the 500.
    Yes, there were a couple of different versions of the 500H, and not just the ones with the 500C and 500CPM controller. There also appears to have been a very early version of the 500C only really suitable for 2x150W lamps, not 2x300W. Like George states in the extract below, it misses the heat shields in the head, probably protecting the sides from the head of getting to hot to handle, and possible damage to the head itself. See the Ilford documentation about this that I attached as an image ("Change in lamp specification") and the serial numbers of the units involved.

Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    Changing the plug might be okay in this case although I'm not sure I'd want to put the 300w lamps in the 2 x 150 head. I think I've seen mention that the 600w head has a couple extra parts for heat shielding.

What is wrong with current head, any chance it could be fixed?

George
    Quote Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
    Paul, older Ilford Head 400 was only working with 2x150W bulbs, ILFORD Head 500 takes both - 2x150W or 2x300W!!!
    Again, see the attached documentation and image. Power supply may not be the biggest issue, as it seems Ilford underrated the unit in the beginning, to simply upgrade it by sticking another wattage on it when they made the changes to the head to allow for 2x300W lamps by adding the additional heat shielding...

Anyway, the attached image shows the 500H head with the heat shields (called heat baffle plates in the documentation):

My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I checked the earlier head and the plate on top has the serial number (5H12321) and specifically mentions using ESD (300w total) or ELH (600w total) globes. So now I have no good theory as to why the power supply plug changed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins View Post
    8 flat pins is the earlier 300W version while 7 flat and one round is for the later 600w version. They had completely different controllers, but those do appear to be plug compatible. I am guessing that the change to the power supply plug was to prevent people plugging 600w heads into 300w power supplies. If you want to do it the other way around it should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins View Post
    I checked the earlier head and the plate on top has the serial number (5H12321) and specifically mentions using ESD (300w total) or ELH (600w total) globes. So now I have no good theory as to why the power supply plug changed.
    Hi Paul,

My 500H head also has a higher serial number (5H11965), than the Ilford documented change (all units above serial number 5H11471 adapted for 2x300W lamps). It has an flat 8 pin plug, no round pin... The head has the head baffle plates, as it should for carrying 300W lamps. It also mentions to only use 300W lamps on a sticker on the inside of the front panel of the head.

In addition, my 500S power supply, also with 8 flat pin connector, shows 400W as the maximum output on the back plate, yet connects up with the head fine, and has no problem coping with the extra load. I bought the unit second hand, however I am pretty sure no illegal modifications were made, and the unit came as it was delivered by Ilford.

I really think Ilford underrated the original 500S power supplies, and Ilford simply decided to modify the heads to allow for fitting 2x300W, while using the original stock of 400 Watt rated 500S power supplies fitted with the 8 flat pin connector until they ran out the production run, to only swap them out for the newer version afterwards.

In addition, the 7 flat, 1 round pin connectors, may be specific to the 500CPM controllers, as they function differently. If I remember it well (I don't have one), someone here on APUG mentioned the 500CPM controllers were specifically designed for split grade printing (0/5), while my 500C controller only has basic grade (0-5 in 1/2 grade increments) and time settings.

But correct me if I am wrong on this last point...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    does anyone have the service information guide for the unit without the round connector in the plug that goes from the head to the power supply? i have it for the unit with the round pin in the plug.
    thanks
    mitch
    mitch brown

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin