Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,448   Online: 1079

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm Pan
    WoW, Marco,
    it looks like you have PhD in Ilford 500 Heads!!
    Thank you!
    Goran

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
    WoW, Marco,
    it looks like you have PhD in Ilford 500 Heads!!
    Thank you!
    Goran
    Well, actually, all honour goes to that Dutch member of APUG that helped me out on a repair of the unit that I referred to earlier in the thread, and gave me a quick course in electronics in the process!

In addition, some of the stuff I wrote may not be correct. Wager123 now managed to dig up the circuit diagrams of the power supply and enlarger head for the older units with 8 flat pin connectors, and started a new thread about that, read that for the latest info:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/8...ord-heads.html

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    But looking at computer fans, I guess the fan will keep running almost eternally...
    However, if it would break, you might have some trouble finding a replacement for this specific type of fan.
    The fan in my 500CPM version runs continuously also. I think it's meant to.

This style of fan (called a "muffin" fan) is readily available and manufactured in standard sizes. I don't expect it would be difficult to find a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    By the way, much to my own surprise, in terms of real electronics repairs, it turns out that most of the components, even though designed and manufactured for the first time at the end of the '70s, are still being manufactured and can be bought through good electronics shops.
    I was actually astonished to learn this from a very helpful Dutch APUG member with good electronics knowledge, but it turns out these components are so generic, they still have use today and have probably had wide spread application in industrial equipment needing servicing for decades, hence they are still available to be bought new.
    In reviewing the parts list and schematics in the manual, virtually all components should be readily available. The only exception would be the power transformer, which is unique to the product.

The weak link in the power supply chain (and in all such products universally) is the electrolytic capacitors. These have by far the highest failure rate of any component. Fortunately, they're easy to replace, and exact replacements should be easy to find.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post

This style of fan (called a "muffin" fan) is readily available and manufactured in standard sizes. I don't expect it would be difficult to find a replacement.
    Good to hear this Leigh, comforting to know replacements are available.

The fan in my 500C controller controlled head, certainly doesn't run continuously. It shuts down after about 2 minutes, which is actually quite convenient as a means to tell me it's about time to pull the print from the developer

In reviewing the parts list and schematics in the manual, virtually all components should be readily available. The only exception would be the power transformer, which is unique to the product.
    Since the term "power transformer" is a bit ambiguous in view of having the 500S power supply unit, do you mean with non replaceable "power transformer" the actual copper coils and iron bars that form the actual heart of the power supply by transforming mains voltage to the appropriate output voltages for the rest of the power supply circuitry?
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin