Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,319   Online: 868

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

ilford 500 heads

merry xmas all
    i am hopeing someone can answer this question. i have 2 ilford 500 300wat head , but the plug that connect them to the power unit is different by one connector, one is a flat pin the other is a round pin the book i have is for the round pin head and it states the round pin is a ground. i an wondering if one i am useing breake ( it is the round pin ) if i could just swap the end connectors and then use the other head. thanks
    mitch
    mitch brown

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Hi Mitch, On my Ilford 500 head connector is with 8 flat pins.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26983280@N00/5293537297/
    G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine has the connector with all flat pins, it uses 2 150 lamps for a total of 300 watts. The parts manual I downloaded a while ago shows the connector with the round pin, it also shows the lamps as 300 watts each. As best I can tell there were two version of the 500. If I read your message correctly you are using the 600 watt head and power supply but the head is broken and you want to use the other head likely is the 300w version. Changing the plug might be okay in this case although I'm not sure I'd want to put the 300w lamps in the 2 x 150 head. I think I've seen mention that the 600w head has a couple extra parts for heat shielding.

What is wrong with current head, any chance it could be fixed?

George

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two MG500 systems, one head utilises all-flat pins and the other has one round pin. I'll try and track down the photos.

Tom

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Hi Mitch & George,
    With Ilford 500 Head you can use ether two 150W ESD or two 300W ELH lamps. Only important thing is that both lams are the same type.
    When we are on topic of connectors, did anybody try to make some kind of adapter to use common "non ilford" (like Gralab) footswitch with mini male plug to some kind of the connector to Ilford Control unit.
    Connector used by the Ilford on this products are like from NASA or Military hardware catalog?? Also placement of the connectors on the Power supply unit is rather strange??
    G

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    both heads work and both use ether 150 or 300 watt bulbs. i just want to make sure that i can get the spare head to work with my power supply if one breaks. btw i just got a rh designs 500 analyser and it s great. as they say spot on.
    mitch

Quote Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
    Hi Mitch, On my Ilford 500 head connector is with 8 flat pins.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26983280@N00/5293537297/
    G
    mitch brown

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    8 flat pins is the earlier 300W version while 7 flat and one round is for the later 600w version. They had completely different controllers, but those do appear to be plug compatible. I am guessing that the change to the power supply plug was to prevent people plugging 600w heads into 300w power supplies. If you want to do it the other way around it should be fine.

The earlier version with 500C controller

the later version with 500CPM controller (note that the socket on the power supply is labelled "Enlarger max 600w")

the early version of the 500H head

hope that helps,
    Paul

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Paul, older Ilford Head 400 was only working with 2x150W bulbs, ILFORD Head 500 takes both - 2x150W or 2x300W!!!
    But I think you did answer to OP. One of his heads is made to be working with 500C controller/power supply and other with 500CPM.
    I'm using 500H with 500C and 500S

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, in my experience the older set-up does work happily with 300w globes but Ilford probably had to be more cautious in case something went wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My older spec MG500 system is explicitly rated @ 600W.

Tom

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin