Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,613   Online: 1157

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Light weight is not really the best quality for an enlarger, in my opinion.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Durst made a very compact enlarger. Excellent little thing. It even has a glass negative holder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by imush View Post
    2. The next currently or very recently produced enlargers of more or less "domestic" size are LPL C6600/D6700.
    • Can anybody explain why the VC model can do 6x7 but the condenser can only house 6x6? LPL site seems to indicate that the only difference is in the light source, so the column and chassis are the same? Does it mean that if I buy the condenser model, I can then still use a dichro head to print 6x7?
    • Does it clip on and off the baseboard (for storage), or is it screwed on more or less permanently? If it is, how does the column reversal work?
    • Are there alignment screws? I cannot see it in online descriptions.
    The 6600 cannot illuminate a 6x7 film area. It is a 6x6 enlarger. It is simply how the head was designed. I believe the heads are interchangeable--I had the 6600 and it was a very nice enlarger that took up little space. It was very solid.

For column reversal, you loosen the four bolts attaching the column to the bases and turn the column around and reattach it. The bolts screw into a metal plate under the baseboard and so disassembling it for storage should present no problems.

I have also had an LPL 670 series enlarger. A little larger than the 6600, but fairly compact. The column is easily removable from the base. But it is a longer column.

You cannot collimate/align the LPL enlargers. They are fixed, but also square, which means alignment is not required. (You don't expect to align your cameras, why do you expect to do it for an enlarger?)

I also have a Beseler C23III. A very much larger machine--ideal for a permanent darkroom. For printing up to 11x14 (or even 16x20 [with the 670 series]), I do not see any advantage to it over the LPL enlargers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a nice Durst M800 that will do up to 6x9 and is quite compact. I'd let it go for $120 including a couple of condensors, a 50/2.8 El Nikkor and some other bits and pieces.

-Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Omega C700 is a capable machine that should fill the bill. I used one for years in a bathroom set up. Just use a (homemade) foot switch and let the machine "settle down' after you are done focussing, etc. With the head all the way down, and a dust cover, it will fit in the bottom corner of a clothes closet.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't see any reason to mess around with an average enlarger these days. Also if you are putting it on a cart, you will probably be more limited by the size of the cart than the enlarger. There are a lot of good enlargers out there, but there are far more mediocre ones. I personally would avoid the 23c and the Omega. Get either a Saunders or a Durst. The Saunders 670 VCCE is a really nice enlarger. Whatever you do, don't get chintzy on the lens! APO's are going for under $200 now. Heck, there are two Orthoplanars on fleabay right now for $600 if you really want a good lens. Don't forget the alignment tool either. Preferably, you could borrow one from someone nice and save a couple hundred bucks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Minolta Color Enlarger II. Lightweight, well built, takes 6x7 and has excellent carriers. Bought it from the very first user for $90 with four carriers. Did many 16x24 prints with it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I recommend a LPL 6600/6700 over the C-700. LPL products are modern, available used, and sturdy. The base board impacts the footprint and final print size. If your enlargements are limited to an image on 11x14 in paper, the LPL 6600/6700 will meet your needs. 6x7 should be considered for enlargements larger than 11x14. People consider using medium format but never follow through. Therefore, for small format, a Leitz 1C enlarger is a great choice if you want quality but a small footprint. Use a tripod, ISO 100/125 film, and great glass. At viewing distance you may seldom see much print quality difference viewing a 8x12 image printed on 11x14 in paper. That said, if your printing for an album and put your nose in the print or printing landscape MF is better.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 02-01-2011 at 10:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin