Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,769   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ilford 500 Beseler Adapter sources

I just purchased an Ilford 500H system and, not having seen one before, must say it's very impressive. What I should have done first is check on adapting it to my Beseler 45MXII. I've searched on the internet and asked Lightwave in England and can't find a source for a Beseler adapter. Does anyone know where I might find one, besides checking on ebay?

If I absolutely can't find one I'll consider selling it. Has anyone successfully adapted one with do-it-yourself techniques?!

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you know what the adapter looks like? One, of some type sold on ebay last week. I think it was one for a cold light head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 500 head on a Beseler 45MXII. I'm not interested in selling it but I should be able to help you out with the adapter. I'll have to take a second look but I believe it's a simple metal plate that should be easy to make. The big question is the mixer boxes, they also seem to vary. Any idea what boxes you have?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The adapter is fairly simple - I'll take some snaps later and add them to the thread - and you could probably get one made easily enough but the mixing boxes are specific to each type of enlarger and you'll need the right ones. The Beseler ones are taller because of the movable negative stage and the 4x5 box comes in two parts. Your best bet will be advertising here and haunting eBay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So the mixing boxes are specific to the brand of enlarger chasis?

I have TWO 500S systems (well, only have part of them so far -but pick up the heads and hopefully a probe and/or foot switch) that I think are coming with Omega models. the guy said they are wall mounts ...

So I can't use them on my Beseler 45MXT? I have two condenser heads and an Arista D2 cold light as well ... wonder which unit the Arista was for?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    Any idea what boxes you have?
    The former owner had it on an Omega D5XL and it came with several diffusion boxes. I'll be using the 4x5 box.

I have an old broken cold light head for my Beseler. What I could do is take its adapter insert and screw it to the bottom of the Ilford head, while keeping Ilford's Omega diffusion box in place inside the head.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    First up, here is the adapter plate for the Beseler 45 and one for an Omega (not sure which model). The four screw holes that you can see clearly on the Omega plate are where you attach it to the head. The innermost set of holes on the Beseler plate (the shiny countersunk ones) are where you attach it to the enlarger. You unscrew the two sliders that hold the lamphouse in place and attach the adapter plate using the slider screw holes. You then attach the Ilford head to the plate.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Here are three 4x5 mixing boxes: L->R Beseler, Durst L1200, Durst 138

A closer look at the two part Beseler 4x5 mixing box

Three Medium Format mixing boxes: L->R Durst L1200, Omega, Durst 138

and finally three 35mm mixing boxes: L->R Omega, Durst L1200, Durst 138

Oh, and mustn't forget the spacers to use the different size mixing boxes:

and the spacers to shift the lamps forward when set up for a 4x5 enlarger:

That spacer is a bit tricky. The first head I bought came on an Omega which was set up for medium format (as seen in the previous post) and that didn't have the spacer. When I set it up on the Beseler the hole in the side of the mixing box didn't line up properly. I found out about the spacer and made my own (it is just 25mm alloy square tube) and all was well. When I got the Durst L1200 it already had the spacer and all of the mixing boxes worked fine with that. Just another trap when you swap heads form one enlarger to another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, Paul - thank you!

I have two sized mixing boxes and am not sure which ones they are. I think they are MF and 35mm. How large is that 4x5 box?

I also am not sure which enlarger they are for ... I think Omega.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The top half of the Beseler box is 130mm w x 110mm d x 135mm h and the bottom half is 130 x 110 x 45. On all of the boxes it is only the height that varies and I think that the Beseler 4x5 box was just a little too tall to be removable if left as one piece.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin