Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,353   Online: 1090

Shooter
    Multi Format

What happens if I....

What happens if I use a regular lens for enlarging. E.g. A Nikkor 50mm f1.4 for 135 negatives. Ignore how inconvenient it may be, but what would you think about the image quality?
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It would probably be mediocre at best.

A "Micro" (using Nikon nomenclature) lens would work better, because they are designed with "flat field at close focus" issues in mind.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the input Matt. The reason why I had that idea is because, well, I have quite a few Omegars and people say they are no good. I wonder if I rig up something like that would be any improvement. I did a quick test just holding the lens (50 1.8) up to the enlarger, there is one big advantages over my f3.5 or 4.5 Omegars, I stuck a heavily over exposed negative in there, it gave me a much much brighter image to focus on using like f1.8, especially for large enlargements, which i can do the math and stop it back down later.

So you think a Macro lens is better, well, I do have a Vivitar Series 1 90-180 f4.5 Flat Field Macro Zoom, But I don't think that lens will fit under my enlarger, haha.
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Derek:

The Omegars will be better because enlarging lenses are designed in a way that emphasizes flat-field performance at close focussing distances. For general purpose taking lenses, that is not so important.

I understand the desire to use "faster" lenses (having just invested in a good 50mm f/2.8 to replace a good 50mm f/5.6 lens), but I would be very surprised to learn that a 50mm f/1.4 taking lens would perform well in these sort of circumstances - it just isn't designed for it.
    Last edited by MattKing; 12-30-2010 at 12:24 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correct a negative
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, I'll stick with those Omegars till i got money to get some EL Nikkors then
    - Derek

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin