Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,930   Online: 1199

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a Corning 620D/heated which I bought brand new an it's one of the top ten best photo things I own. I make developer 4 liters at a time and this thing makes it a real snap. They come up used quite a bit but I was at the lab supply one day and saw it sitting there, had the money in my pocket and went impulse, glad I did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The electronics tech for the local college here buys Corning stirring hotplates on ebay and refurbs them to supply the chemistry dept. When I asked a few years ago he was paying about $40 for them in decent condition and fixing any problems himself. If they paid him only what he's saved them over the years he'd be a millionaire. I have been meaning to, but haven't yet asked him to snag a unit and check it for me.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just looked on Amazon - lots of really cheap stirrers available. Even the name brand heated ones are selling for less than an acid-spill Corning is going for on ebay. China supplying the methlab market?
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I like my Corning because I am a production kind of person when in a working environment. A nice Walmart alternative is to buy a single burner electric hotplate and a cheap immersion/stick blender. It only requires you to stand and hold the blender but it mixes quickly. I will grab my stick blender if I have a stubborn clump of chemical in my Corning, sometimes the stir bar won't break them up fast but the stick will break them instantly...EC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Stick blender - now that's an interesting idea ...
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Stick blender - now that's an interesting idea ...
    And it works

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I often wonder if I could make use of one of these for darkroom related work:

http://www.oster.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=2435
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I often wonder if I could make use of one of these for darkroom related work:

http://www.oster.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=2435
    Rig one of these inside and you're all set:

Ninja
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A factoid that may possibly be of interest: a magnetic stirrer can be used to make a hole in the bottom of a stainless steel developing tank.

I once had to mix a batch of Polaroid 55 clearing solution, which is essentially water saturated with sodium sulfite. The sulfite that I had was lumpy, so I put it and the water into a tank with a teflon-coated stirring bar, sealed the top with Parafilm, and let it sit overnight. The next morning the solution was clear, and there was a brightly polished dimple where the ridge at the center of the stirring bar had been sitting.

Either the teflon was glass-reinforced (which I think is the most likely answer) or the stainless was depassivated at the point of contact and fretting corrosion produced the dimple.

Fortunately, it didn't go all the way through.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I guess I'm just a low tech kind of guy. I use an old nylon spoon that my dad, and I used since the early sixties. I don't even need to plug it in.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin