Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,987   Online: 1152

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I often wonder if I could make use of one of these for darkroom related work:

http://www.oster.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=2435
    Wasn't someone around here singing the praises of that thing for an E6 tempered bath a few months ago?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Wasn't someone around here singing the praises of that thing for an E6 tempered bath a few months ago?
    I think it was me - but it was the same sort of "I wonder if this would work" post.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is any magnetic stirrer & hot plate going to reliably keep ≈115° and hold it while stirring. What's the usual range?

I'm starting to get the itch for one of these after some rather cumbersome nights over the kitchen stove with a thermometer and spoon (not fun).

edit: I should mention that I'm mixing carbon-glob and other gelatinous things. Is the high viscoscity going to be a problem?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an old Corning heated stir plate I got from the Parasit lab and I wouldn't part with it for the world. It's a gem for mixing powdered chemicals. I just set the amber gallon glass jug on top of the heated plate, drop in the magnetic stirrer and it dissolves very quickly. I went berserk trying to dissolve powders with a spoon. Not sure how high the temp goes. Tried to boil water on it to cook spaghetti and it didn't quite come to a rolling boil...
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Is any magnetic stirrer & hot plate going to reliably keep ≈115° and hold it while stirring. What's the usual range?

I'm starting to get the itch for one of these after some rather cumbersome nights over the kitchen stove with a thermometer and spoon (not fun).

edit: I should mention that I'm mixing carbon-glob and other gelatinous things. Is the high viscoscity going to be a problem?
    As you work with higher viscosities I would recommend you a hot plate stirrer with digital control (the stirring function can be useful for other applications) and a overhead stirrer. Magnetic stirrers get used with low viscosities and if your temperature range is +/-1° this will work.

As Corning gets recommended so often (I prefer IKA ) here is a link to the technical data

BTW, don't get shocked when you see the list prices for new equipment..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, the prices are, *cough cough*, HIGH. I'm looking at the cheapest, junkiest looking one on eBay and even at $60 I don't really have the justification... yet.

I'm thinking that with small quantities (certainly less than 500mL, probably 100-200mL) of hot gelatin the viscosity won't be a huge problem, and yes digital would be nice, but again... $ $ $.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "•Microprocessor maintains consistent and repeatable temperature settings from 5°C (if ambient temperature is 0°C or lower) up to 550°C"

Excuse me?!?! That'll get you a rolling boil...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Stick blender - now that's an interesting idea ...
    I got away from the stick blender as it seemed to simply aerate the solution and add a nice frothing to the top. Not what I wanted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Yeah, the prices are, *cough cough*, HIGH. I'm looking at the cheapest, junkiest looking one on eBay and even at $60 I don't really have the justification... yet.

I'm thinking that with small quantities (certainly less than 500mL, probably 100-200mL) of hot gelatin the viscosity won't be a huge problem, and yes digital would be nice, but again... $ $ $.
    I know, the prices are high but I know nobody who pays them, especially Corning gets sold at much lower prices here.

What is the viscosity of the carbon glob? Gelatine in these quantity works, I just did give it a try with a magnetic stirrer capable to stir 10 l of water (that is a small stirrer).
    How accurate do you need the temperature? With a little practice controlling within 3-5° is possible using a stirrer without digital control. Definitly better than using a kitchen stove and once you are in your temperature range you can use your time for better things than watching.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Between 110° and 120°F (43-48°C) is the ideal zone for carbon/gelatin "glop".

In addition to giving me some "free time", I am also looking for consistency of preparation to minimize any variables. The stove-top method has so far not been very scientific.

Cheers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin