Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,846   Online: 952

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, that simplifies things a lot. Very cool.

The Gelatin Zone... is that like The Blob? Now that's a cheesy and tasetless movie!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think that The Blob was the large-format version of The Gelatin Zone (medium format...).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Update:

So, I went to goodwill yesterday to find a crockpot but instead found a Rival "Princess" fondue pot with a variable thermostat. Bingo!

Here's what it looks like -> http://www.fast-autos.net/diecast-ca...317753862.html

Cost me $5 and holds steady at 115°. However, the right temperature setting is well below the "1" setting and required a mark of paint so that I know where to set the knob. It's designed to get MUCH hotter, but hey, it works!

The cool thing is that the hole in the lid is the perfect size for a jelly jar of gelatin.

There are many kitchen appliances that would do the same thing; like electric coffee thermoses, etc., just gotta get creative.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Congratulations. You are now a full-fledged member of the McGyver Memorial Institute.

If you are feeling really adventurous, you will now look inside the fondue pot to see if the thermostat has either a calibration adjustment or something mechanical that can be easily bent to place the 115 F point nearer the middle of the scale. It is sort of generally bad luck to operate near the low end of the scale, because of things like stick/slip friction and possible sensitivity to outside influences. Also, you could really cook your gelatin if you bumped the knob even a little bit. (Cooking your gelatin would be in this case equivalent to cooking your goose, only less tasty.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Greybeard! If that's a real institute, I think you and Mike Wilde would be tenured professors.

Luckily the knob is quite sure, but I would love to get the right temperature up to the center of the scale. I'll see about it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Stick blender - now that's an interesting idea ...
    That would mix in too much air. Not a good thing with developers especially.
    Frank Schifano

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin