Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,883   Online: 947

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4x5 View Post
    I have a 20x24 trimate processor, which is fine for FB. Processing FB up to 12x16 is easy with a single clip. For larger prints, I've made a jig onto which I slide a clip at each end, so that they are about 16 inches apart.

The hard part is dropping the prints into the companion Washmaster. Unlike the trimate processor, the prints love sticking to the glossy side of the slot. (Why, both sides aren't textured is a bit of a mystery.) When working on larger prints, I remove a divider to make a double-width slot, so that I can quickly drop in the print, and give it a quick wash before moving it to standard-width slot.
    Two good ideas here. Andrew! Any chance of a photo of the jig?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I have a 16x20 Nova processor. You CAN use it for fiber paper, but at the bigger sizes, it is possible for the waffle texture of the slot walls to get picked up by the print where it makes contact with the wall during development. I would advise keeping fiber prints at least one paper size smaller than the maximum size of the processor.
    I haven't noticed the texture on a straight print, but I have seen the texture appear during a bleach and redevelopment toning process. Maybe moving the print a little during development would minimize this effect. (This particular print was from a large run and I might not have agitated it much if at all).

Does having the slot very clean (not easy!) make a difference?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    I haven't noticed the texture on a straight print, but I have seen the texture appear during a bleach and redevelopment toning process. Maybe moving the print a little during development would minimize this effect. (This particular print was from a large run and I might not have agitated it much if at all).

Does having the slot very clean (not easy!) make a difference?
    I'm not sure what the cause is - I've tried agitating regularly throughout the dev cycle, cleaning the devil out of the slot, and so on, but it seems to happen every few prints regardless, and it was only getting worse as time went by. Which coincided with but was not directly contributory to my move to alternative process printing. I haven't used the Nova in probably 3 or 4 years now.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi John

Here are a couple of pictures of the jig. It is made from 50x5mm plastic edging that you can get in any hardware store.

The material is easy to cut, even with a Stanley knife. You just have to make sure that the prongs don't prevent the Nova clips from closing properly, so that they can grip the paper. The clips are 17 inches apart (centre to centre).

Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NovaJig01.jpg   NovaJig02.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I'm not sure what the cause is - I've tried agitating regularly throughout the dev cycle, cleaning the devil out of the slot, and so on, but it seems to happen every few prints regardless, and it was only getting worse as time went by. Which coincided with but was not directly contributory to my move to alternative process printing. I haven't used the Nova in probably 3 or 4 years now.
    If you agitate the print regularly, you don't get the pattern on the print. Of course, that's no good for lith printing, which is where the FB model comes into it own. But for normal FB printing, the standard Novas are fine.

Best wishes,
    Charlie
    www.charlie-chan.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my experience, FB papers seem to 'hang' better in the slot than RC; that is, the curl of FB paper works to its own advantage with only the edges touching the sides of the slots.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin