Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,629   Online: 1082

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format

Exorbitant Price for a Used Lens Board?

I examined my old version 75/4 EL Nikkor and found that the threaded shank is 4mm in length. This is a lens of the same era as the 80mm El Nikkor you have and probably has the same shank dimensions. Due to the chamfer on the end, the last thread terminates about 3-3.2mm from the shoulder.

That’s about the same as 1/8 inch, so you must have a very thin board or use a threaded mount.

Beseler counterbores its lens boards so that the metal is thin enough to accommodate most, but not all 39mm lenses as in this photo.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Lensboard.html

But for really short shank lenses, Beseler owners might have to use a board with a threaded flange like this one

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...h_Mounted.html

Although Omega-Brandess no longer supplies the 421-020 39mm board with the 39mm threaded flange for the B22/B66, it still offers the 421-056 for the D5/D6.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...late_with.html

The current price for the D5 board is likely what you’d have to pay for a new B22/B66 threaded mount at 2011 prices if it was still made.

So, paying $30 to get a used one, while annoying, is still something of a bargain. It all depends on how you look at it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another backwoods possibility that I've done out of necessity:

39 mm is 1.535 inches, (1/32" larger than 1-1/2").
    With an ordinary holesaw, bore a 1-1/2 inch hole in a piece of 1/4" Masonite.
    Then sand or file it a tad larger.
    This will let you thread the lens directly into the relatively soft wood fibers.
    It will be plenty secure.
    Make sure it's in straight and flat to the threads seat.
    Trim the piece to size and finish it as it suits you.

Then super glue that "threaded adapter" onto the face of your existing board.

Reinhold

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But, to my way of thinking, I can get a later model lens for that $30 or a little more, and use my existing lens board. In fact I have a friend who is going to look and see if he still has his enlarging lenses, and if so give them to me. A new enlarging lens is several hundred bucks from B&H, does that mean I should be happy paying $150 for one?

I just missed out on a free enlarger and jobo processor because I did not get back to the lady quick enough, used darkroom equipment is cheap unless you are buying it from a dealer. You can pay $20 for a retaining ring on eBay, or order it new from B&H for $6.85 with free shipping. It is all a matter of common sense. Since I live off SS, and have neither a healthy bank account, nor a credit card, low cost is a necessity for me. $30 is a dozen rolls of film, it is my eating out budget for 3 months. I am not just being cheap.

I do thank you, Ian, for pointing me to the seller. Their price is fine, it is the $20 shipping for something that will fit in an envelope that bothers me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just not to leave this thread hanging. I finally bit the bullet and bought the proper threaded lens board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin