Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,320   Online: 992

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry lebens View Post
    Roger that. Great enlarger, but make sure that head is secured before you shift it, the spring is easily powerful enough to remove a misplaced finger.
    Raise the head to the top of the column before you actually remove the head assembly, it takes all the tension out of the system...

Regards
    Jerry
    If it's floor standing it's better to lock the head down tightly lower than top of the column, as it's about 7ft up at the top

And while Jerry says it'll take a finger off in fact it'll do far worse than that if you get in it's way - as I know from experience and a hole in a ceiling . . . . . . .

If you buy one there's a few things you need to do before splitting these De Vere's, makes life simpler later on re-assembly.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sounds like if I get it, if I'm not careful I might die :s

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggysk8 View Post
    Sounds like if I get it, if I'm not careful I might die :s
    It's not that bad

They are so nice to use, so well made, but the counter balance is strong as it has to cope with quite a weight. Te safety precautions are simple and work well.

However there are other issues like the chains used to raise various bits, if you disassemble correctly it's dead easy to reassemble, if not it's fiddly & messy fingers covered in grease etc.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maybe waiting for a 504 is better as I will only be doing 5x4

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends on the price. The columns, base board etc are the same, built to withstand anything. I have a 5108 (10x8) version but have used a 504 and used to have the much earlier 54a, an ex navy ship mounted model.

As they take up the same space if the 507's cheap just go for it It's better for 6x17 a wonderful format.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ok then what's a good price?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggysk8 View Post
    Ok then what's a good price?
    How longs a piece of string.. . . . . .

To many variables, it really depends on the enlarger and what you get with it. I paid £600 for my 5108 about 5 years ago with 10x8, 5x4, 6x6 & 6x7 neg carrier parts, plus a timer and 3 lenses, 150mm & 210mm Rodenstock's and a mint 300mm Componon S.

There was also a large Beard enlarger easel, I had to make a couple of missing parts .

I got a lot of value for money at that price. You'd need to asses what your buying,

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well thank you everyone for your help.

The bad news is I didn't win it although it is the one I am gonna get ONE DAY!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Were you bidding on one over in Norfolk ? I was half tempted, but having a pair of L1200s already, I don't have the space. Would have been nice to have the capacity to go to 5x7 even if it was only to do jumbo "contact sheets" of 6x6 & 35mm negs.
    Maybe I'll try for the 10x8 DeVere that is currently listed.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yeah thats the one, I did see the 10x8 also there is a 507 in Ireland but they won't post it, but it would go for £250

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin