Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,211   Online: 927

Thread: Illuminator

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Illuminator

OK, Here's one that has me stumped. This is probably not the forum for it, but I don't really know where to ask, so here goes:

In a box of mixed photographic goodies (junk) sent to my friend for appraisal, there is a Kodak Illuminator Model 1A 10x10. It consists of a plastic housing, a 60 watt light bulb and a front frame holding a sheet of heavy blue glass over a sheet of white diffuser glass. The clips holding the glass are not spring mounted, or else I'd say it was for viewing x-rays or some other transparency, but I may be splitting hairs here.

Can anyone think of a situation where blue light would be necessary for viewing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps a map or aerial photo illuminator meant for use where night vision was not to be impared? Like on an air traffic control site, or military field operations?
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi whitey

i did a completed auction search on e-boink
    and saw what was listed as a "kodak illuminator model 1 " ..
    it looked like a small version of what you have ...

it kind of said it was for viewing transparencies ... so maybe you aren't far off ...
    what kind of transparencies would be 10x10m aerial recon film ?
    Last edited by jnanian; 01-18-2011 at 08:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    if it is like the one I use to use in Graphic arts the blue glass was to correct the tungsten light bulb to 3200 K day light for accurate viewing of the color of the transparency.It was one of the first attempts to standardize viewing color in Graphic arts The 10 x10 was to accommodate 8x10 transparencies

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rmolson View Post
    if it is like the one I use to use in Graphic arts the blue glass was to correct the tungsten light bulb to 3200 K day light for accurate viewing of the color of the transparency.It was one of the first attempts to standardize viewing color in Graphic arts The 10 x10 was to accommodate 8x10 transparencies
    I think this must be the answer. As I said, it was in a box of junk a friend was asked to appraise, so I don't have it to check out, but the whole think is plastic other than the glass front and the obvious metal socket. It looks like it might have mounted in a table or perhaps on a wall.

Thanks everybody

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin