Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,082   Online: 1063

Chillicothe, "Home of Sliced Bread", Missouri
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

GAF Vividol Universal B&W Paper and Film Developer 5gal

I am not sure if this is proper or not and if it is not I apologize. While searching for information a a bulk film loader that I have I found this that auction site. Not sure if this developer was any good but I remember the 200 and 500 speed slide film they had in the 70s.

again. GAF Vividol Universal B&W Paper and Film Developer 5gal Item number: 300516522027 Ships from Mechanicsburg, PA. Reportedly they have 6 available.

Jackie
    Cameras.
    Nikon F2a (semi-retired), Nikon 28mm, Sigma 500mm f8, Vivitar Series I 70-210 zoom
    2 Nikon N90s one 70 - 300 AF Macro, one 100 - 300 AF)
    Nikon N90 w/ 100 - 300 AF lens, 24-50 AF, 35-70 AF
    Mamiya C220 80mm f2.8, 180mm f4.5, 135mm f4.5, 65mm f6.5

Three Sony Mavica Digital cameras, and a Fuji FinePix S2800HD I got after the partner died.. HP Photosmart E327
    and some Bushnell Binoculars with digit camera built in.
    Omega Super Chromega C-700 6X7 enlarger with 50mm and 80mm lens

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So what exactly might be the question? Your post is kind of unclear. Sorry.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Chillicothe, "Home of Sliced Bread", Missouri
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What results could I expect from this. The listing shows a picture of the back of the can and it is both paper and film developer, 1:1 and 1:2 if I remember right. 5 gallons is a lot of developer but would this be worth the investment? $14.99 and S&H.
    Cameras.
    Nikon F2a (semi-retired), Nikon 28mm, Sigma 500mm f8, Vivitar Series I 70-210 zoom
    2 Nikon N90s one 70 - 300 AF Macro, one 100 - 300 AF)
    Nikon N90 w/ 100 - 300 AF lens, 24-50 AF, 35-70 AF
    Mamiya C220 80mm f2.8, 180mm f4.5, 135mm f4.5, 65mm f6.5

Three Sony Mavica Digital cameras, and a Fuji FinePix S2800HD I got after the partner died.. HP Photosmart E327
    and some Bushnell Binoculars with digit camera built in.
    Omega Super Chromega C-700 6X7 enlarger with 50mm and 80mm lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even if it is a good quality developer, with a 5-gallon container I'd be concerned it would stay viable until you could use it up. I'd be more trusting of D-76, or Rodinal, which keep well and can be diluted enough to be economical.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leave it alone. It's got to be very old, and I would not be surprised if it's gone bad even though it is in a can. Then again, if it's good, I'd only use it for paper. I've never seen any development data for the stuff with any film. Do yourself a favor and get some D-76 or XTOL.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi coffeehound

i used a 20+ year old red container of gaf universal ( maybe it was before it was called vivadol universal ? )
    it was the best developer i have ever used, hands down ( even poorly stored and 20+ years old )
    it was in a studio i was renting, and on a window sill cold in the winter, and really hot in the summer.

i don't know if this is the same stuff, the dilutions for the other universal were 1:1/1:2 paper, 1:5 film 68º / 6mins
    and that isn't what vivadol universal suggests.

if you can contact the seller, ask if it is all loose inside or if he can hear clumpy developer,
    if it is clumpy stay away , but if it is all loose, you might buy a can and see if it is any good
    just don't use good film for your tests

-john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin