Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,133   Online: 868

Thread: Omegar

Shooter
    Multi Format

Omegar

I understand most of you will advice me to get an el nikkor or rodagon, but lets put that aside.

I have 2 Omegars here,
    one is Rodenstock-Omegar 50mm 1:4.5 Made in Germany (came with B22) Older
    other is EL-Omegar 1:3.5 50mm L455-110 Made in Japan (came with B66) Newer

Pretty much same difference in 75mm.

Which one of these lens you think its "better". The first (Rodenstock-Omegar) seems to have larger diameter glass, and more aperture blades. But i imagine they have the same amount of elements. So far I am leaning towards the older lens just by the look of it. I figure I will ask you guys before i waste a bunch of paper just to figure out the difference, and if its little to none, paper ain't cheap for me!

Thank you in advance,
    Derek.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't need paper to compare. Take a picture of a newspaper, full frame, middle aperture(where
    most lenses do best). Raise the enlarger to the biggest print you wish to make. Enlarging lens set to
    5.6(the largest aperture common to both lenses), and examine center, edges,corners,etc. with a
    grain focuser(keep turning it to face the image center. Then compare at a smaller aperture.
    Use what you like, if it's the 4.5, keep the 3.5 for hard to focus dense negs.

Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by boswald View Post
    You don't need paper to compare. Take a picture of a newspaper, full frame, middle aperture(where
    most lenses do best). Raise the enlarger to the biggest print you wish to make. Enlarging lens set to
    5.6(the largest aperture common to both lenses), and examine center, edges,corners,etc. with a
    grain focuser(keep turning it to face the image center. Then compare at a smaller aperture.
    Use what you like, if it's the 4.5, keep the 3.5 for hard to focus dense negs.

Good luck
    Good call, i might prepare such a neg with my next roll for future references.
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think they are all 3 element. Its probably a toss up. Keep all 4, as postage will probably cost more than what you can get for them.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 01-20-2011 at 08:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I think they are all 3 element. Its probably a toss up. Keep all 4, as postage will probably cost more than what you can get for them.
    Looks like 3 elements for both of them.
    - Derek

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can get your hand on an old piece of Microfiche its even better more negative detail and thicker base if you are not using a glass or semi-glass carrier

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin