Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,987   Posts: 1,633,070   Online: 816

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Properly cleaning lab glassware - is it possible?

I have a large collection of lab glassware that I was given, all used in a high school lab. It is physically in great condition and should work wonderfully in my darkroom.

My concern is getting the glass chemically clean. I don't have access to an autoclave, so what are my options? Any chemical cleaners that work well enough?

Is it a real concern - can I contaminate my chemistry through trace amounts of things that won't wash out?

I plan to use some of this glassware for wet plate work, and don't want to ruin expensive chemicals due to contamination. I also don't want to junk this stuff and buy new if I can avoid it.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeff;

If I tell you the secrets of absolute glassware cleaning, it will be "out there". And, no one will be willing to use it!.

Method 1. Make a saturated solution of Potassium Dichromate in concentrated Sulfuric Acid. Soak your glassware in this for a few days and then rinse with copious running water.

Method 2. Add Potassium Hydroxide to iso-Propyl Alcohol until there is solid KOH left over. This is a saturated solution of Potassium Iso-Proponalate, IPA and KOH. Soak your glassware in that for a few days and then rinse with copious amounts of running water.

Barring that, use soap, hot water and elbow grease!

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A loooooong time ago I worked in a lab where we cleaned our glassware in sulfuric acid, followed by a distilled water rinse. Probably not a great idea for a home darkroom.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How about Hydrochloric acid? Cheap at the hardware store, sold as muriatic acid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Lots of scary chemicals! Sounds like fun.

So, soaking in strong acid should take care of it, without eating through the glass and consuming my whole house?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hops View Post
    How about Hydrochloric acid? Cheap at the hardware store, sold as muriatic acid.
    Did I mention HCl? No, I did not.

It is not used due to the extreme odor.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Jeff;

If I tell you the secrets of absolute glassware cleaning, it will be "out there". And, no one will be willing to use it!.

Method 1. Make a saturated solution of Potassium Dichromate in concentrated Sulfuric Acid. Soak your glassware in this for a few days and then rinse with copious running water.

Method 2. Add Potassium Hydroxide to iso-Propyl Alcohol until there is solid KOH left over. This is a saturated solution of Potassium Iso-Proponalate, IPA and KOH. Soak your glassware in that for a few days and then rinse with copious amounts of running water.

Barring that, use soap, hot water and elbow grease!

PE
    How did I know you would have an answer?

I take it Method 3 is my best bet then? Are the other 2 reasonable for a home darkroom user?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use methods 1 and 2. I use method 1 for my 4x5 glass plates!

But then I am a chemist.

I tend to do things many others are not trained to do.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I use methods 1 and 2. I use method 1 for my 4x5 glass plates!

But then I am a chemist.

I tend to do things many others are not trained to do.

PE
    Indeed, I'm no chemist, though I am smart, meticulous and can follow directions. Are there dangers in this method? I assume that skin contact and breathing the vapors would be bad news?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use rubber gloves and a lab coat along with old clothes. I use safety glasses with shields and I work slowly with no rushing around. I use every precaution I can in my lab and have a neutralizing solution there (Carbonate) in case of an acid spill.

PE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin