Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,985   Online: 1069

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Chemical Storage...

I just added a post to my Blog that tackles the very exciting subject (sarcasm intended) of how to store photo related chemicals.

You can read all about it here...
    "The photo is a thing in itself. And that's what still photography is all about." - Garry Winogrand

My Photography Blog
    My Flickr Photostream
    My Website
    My Street Photography

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thank you, I appreciate this. I've been trying to figure out how to set up my darkroom and air evac bottles are always out of stock, I don't know exactly what sizes to get? Because funds are limited and I don't know what I'm doing I don't want to make buying mistakes. Where do you find marbles and is there any danger of cracking the bottom of the glass when dropping them in?

Sincerely,

Puma

Shooter
    35mm RF
    32 ounce bottles are also out of stock from the site you recommended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brown bottles are not needed! After all, how long is it light in your darkroom or storage area, and how bright are the lights, particularly in the uv....

Also, with Jobo plastic containers, I have been able to keep partially full bottles of developers for up to 6 months or even longer.

We used clear glass for many processing solutions at Kodak.

PE

Specialty bottle.com. Best $200 I ever spent for my dark room. They clean and you can see if they are clean. Air Evac are worthless. Cap is bad. Collects dirt you can not see.

Buy one time use size for developer. Say 4 oz for D76 + 4 oz water. Get twice the caps you need and the ones with conical inserts that seal. Wipe the lip dry before capping.

Glass is 100% better than any plastic. Old beer bottles work fine if you get good caps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only started doing my own developing a year ago so I'm by no means an expert in chemical storage, but I'm really liking Datatainer brown plastic bottles in the 1 qt. and 1 gal. sizes. I use the gal. for mixing up and storing powders like D-76, and the qt. for stop, fix, and each of the chemicals in my C-41 kits. The 1 qt. have clear measuring stripes along one side but the other sizes do not. I've yet to have any trouble with them and I label the fronts and the caps to prevent cross-contamination.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottrdaemmerung View Post
    I've only started doing my own developing a year ago so I'm by no means an expert in chemical storage, but I'm really liking Datatainer brown plastic bottles in the 1 qt. and 1 gal. sizes. I use the gal. for mixing up and storing powders like D-76, and the qt. for stop, fix, and each of the chemicals in my C-41 kits. The 1 qt. have clear measuring stripes along one side but the other sizes do not. I've yet to have any trouble with them and I label the fronts and the caps to prevent cross-contamination.
    If you are using them for long term storage, you will sooner than later have oxidation issues with the Datatainer vessels.

Especially with the C-41 stuff, trust me.
    "The photo is a thing in itself. And that's what still photography is all about." - Garry Winogrand

My Photography Blog
    My Flickr Photostream
    My Website
    My Street Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advice, Tony. I'm only using them for C-41 working solutions so I exhaust them faster than they can oxidize; and I've only had to keep D-76 for a few months. I'll buy some of the amber glass ones for longer term storage, thanks!
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    35mm
    I have just begun. I keep things simple. I keep all E6 chemistry in their original plastic containers, I prepare solutions one-shot, which I actually use twice, within one day. I then use Tetenal Protectan Spray on all original flasks of chemistry. I could use it only for developers, I use it for all baths out of pure paranoia.

I like one-shot use. Results are repeatable, and unused chemistry is kept undiluted, which helps preservation. Antioxidant is an added layer of protection. And much less fixer sniffing, I presume.

Don't store your chemistry where it is too cold. For my E6 it is recommended to avoid temperatures below 13 °C.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ronald will you tell me the complete sizes that you found most useful. I think that the specialtybottle.com is the wisest route to go, I just don't know about the practical sizes for each. I mix developer one shot but reuse everything else to maximize my economy.

Thank you,

Justin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin