Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,233   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Quiet indoor air compressor for cleaning film? (and camera gear)

I've been mulling the idea of an indoor air compressor for cleaning film and equipment of dust. My "darkroom" I confess is a Nikon 9000ED scanner since I have no hope of anywhere to set up a darkroom. But, nonetheless dust is a problem with film scanned or film in an enlarger. I've been wondering about a small air compressor to help in these efforts, and for the last many years I have been relying on compressed air cans that probably have harmful chemicals in them or something and will sometimes leave residue.

Would something like this work? Anyone have any other suggestions? I don't want something loud - I live in an apartment and don't want neighbors complaining when I'm up at 1am scanning film.

What do you think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need an oil-less diaphragm compressor and an air filter on the outlet. The fuel filters for a Ford Crown Vic work quite well and can run at 50 psi with no problems and are easily inserted into a cut hose. Get one of those small room type HEPA filter fans to help control the dust. Humidity helps as well.

"Compressed air" cans usually contained R134a, read the can and google the CAS number you'll find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never used one of these, but thought I'd mention that this same Central Pneumatic oil-less airbrush compressor unit is currently on sale here, direct from Harbor Freight Tools, for only $59.99. That's almost a $40.00 savings over the Amazon vendor in your link.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also look into an anti-static air gun. This sends ions out with the air and greatly increases the effectiveness. One of these should allow you to work at lower pressure, hence less noise. Not cheap, but spending hours with the cloning tool and having angry neighbors aren't cheap, either. One example (I have no idea of the technology today- search around)
    http://kinetronics.com/store/iag.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using an air compressor like the one in your link for about 25 years, it was secondhand when I picked it up at an auction.

I have a water filter, as does the one in your link. It's brilliant, use it for many things, but especially for eliminating dust from negatives and lens carriers.

The one in the second link would, or should do the trick.

You don't need too much pressure, I run mine at 1.5 Bar, which is more than adequate for neg cleaning. Much higher pressure and you do risk bending 135 and 120 film, meaning you have to re-seat them in the neg carrier. Higher pressure doesn't worry 4x5 and larger film.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    I've been using an air compressor like the one in your link for about 25 years...
    I'm curious as to what type of nozzle you use with it.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I've never used one of these, but thought I'd mention that this same Central Pneumatic oil-less airbrush compressor unit is currently on sale here, direct from Harbor Freight Tools, for only $59.99. That's almost a $40.00 savings over the Amazon vendor in your link.

Ken

Does your link include the filter? I admit I know nothing of air compressors or airbrush attachments, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt765 View Post
    Does your link include the filter? I admit I know nothing of air compressors or airbrush attachments, etc.
    Well now that's curious. Please take a look at this different Harbor Freight Tools link.

I notice that the photo in the Amazon advertisement appears to be the unit on the left for $59.99. But under Product Features in the Amazon advertisement it also states a spec of 1/5 hp, which would correspond to the unit on the right, on sale for $89.99.

So now I'm confused.

I am also not an expert on these compressors, but I believe both units have an integral water filter (moisture trap). But I do not know if they also have a built-in dirt filter. A quick email to Harbor Freight Tools would likely clear that up.

And something else worth looking at. Click on the right-hand 1/5 hp unit and read the seven customer reviews. Seems they are decidedly mixed, which might have a bearing on any purchasing decision.

Ken

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I know certain air compressors can have a muffler installed which may help with the quite part, I'll see if I can find an example.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The air nozzle I use is like this one:-

http://www.justtools.com.au/prod529.htm

But about 35 years older and a bit different in build, but more or less like that one.

The first post link to the $99.00 compressor shows in one of the pictures a black thingy next to a dial. Under the black thingy you will see that there is a semi opaque compartment, that is the water filter.

You will have to compress the button underneath to allow trapped water to drain away, whenever you get a bit of water. It is not an issue and is easy as anything.

Mick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin