Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,146   Online: 797

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Source for heat in darkroom/dryroom?

I have another question and I have been having a heck of a time finding a heater.

What do you all use? This will be an outbuilding 12x24 and it gets down to 0 on ocassion in the winter. Mostly in the lowteens.

Any suggestions on a heater would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Kev

Images
    It depends on so many things: insulation, wind, sources of heat in the room. I've always heated my darkrooms with a space heater that is just plugged into the wall. You might try this until you figure out just how much heat you need. Electric heat is sure easy to install and clean. Propane is harder, but if you need lots of heat, it is cheaper. I have a 50,000 BTU propane heater in my studio that is about the size of your outbuilding. I think it will be plenty. I don't have temps as low as you, but I live in a mountain pass and we often have 30+ mph winds and 30s or 40s temps. It is a newer building and very well sealed and insulated.

Images
    Down to 0! I'm such a cry baby for not printing when it gets under 50 in my garage An electric space heatwe will work, but you'll needto make sure it is on its own circut, or at least on a different one than the enlargers. Also some models emit a lot of light, so you will need to figure out how to keep it away from the paper, or get a dark model.

good luck
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have three of the space heaters from Tenn. One is a very nice one that has not light given off. You can have them all if you want Kevin.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

About heaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    I have three of the space heaters from Tenn. One is a very nice one that has not light given off. You can have them all if you want Kevin.
    Hello Aggie,

That is so nice of you! If it is not too much trouble I would like to take you up on the offer

I have been away for a few days or I would have responded earlier.

Thank you again!

Kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Next time you are down my way, you can pick them up.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Induction heaters are very efficient (will save on power) and pretty cheap to buy as well Kev. Not withstanding Aggie's offer. All the best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If an induction heater is one filled with liquid that is warmed and gives off heat, that is what he is getting. Silent, cheap to run, and warms very well.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahh - probably right. I meant Convection Heater. Your option sounds better.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I was initially trying to find a propane vented wall heater but when I saw the price I said forgot it as I could not afford to drop $1K just on the heater not including the other stuff I would have to buy. I am only 12x24 so it look like the electric ones will work peachy

The place is divided into two rooms. A dark room 10x12 and the other room 14x12 for drawing, painitng, matting, etc... Basically this is going to be a art place!

I also pickd up a wall mounted exhaust fan that will be placed against an exterior wall. I also pikced up two light tight louvers for the interior vents. Hopefully with the exhaust and the interior vents this will help the air in the darkroom remain warm.

How many vents do you need? I have 2 but could return one and I dont need them both.

Thanks again,

Kev

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin