Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,569   Online: 1123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Modernising the darkroom..

The more I print the more I start to realize there are a wealth of things out there that modernize and assist in the darkroom be it products like RH Designs StopClock or Jobo ATL processors, these devices do away with some of the more mundane jobs in the darkroom while still allowing full creative control.

I am going to look into introducing a small touchscreen into mine to serve as a timer and reference to massive dev chart etc when developing. Anyone else done anything similar?

What do you guys use in the darkroom that brings a bit of the 21st century to a 19th century craft?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a UPS, Uninterruptible Power Supply, i.e. the device the allows an electrical object to go on working even in case of power failure. The beast is an APC Smart-UPS 1400, 1400VA, and is capable of producing a proper "pure sine wave".

I use a Jobo CPP-2 to process E6 and I don't want to compromise quality of processing if there is a power failure during the first development.

I only paid it around €100,00 included second-hand battery on eBay. Gives peace of mind.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Closed-loop feedback mechanisms for hands-free control of frequently changing variables.

For water temperature control I use a Hass Intellifaucet K250. For enlarger light intensity control I use a Zone VI Compensating Enlarging Timer. For processing temperature control I use a Zone VI Compensating Developing Timer.

(The two Zone VI items are no longer in production, but sometimes available used.)

All three of these fall into the "fire and forget" category. Once adjusted, they quietly migrate into the background and just do the job of holding important variables to much tighter tolerances.

This, in turn, then allows me the additional time and opportunity to make far more creative and subtle darkroom errors that are by nature much more difficult to track down and correct...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Lovely stuff Ken exactly the type of things Im looking for!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1) Desktop Computer for film curve analysis
    2) Laser Alignment Tool
    3) Peak 1 grain focuser
    4) Pocket Calculator

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LED bulbs as safelights.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Spoke to a guy yesterday who uses an ipad with a stock of reference prints when toning or printing. I use an Android Nexus One phone with a darkroom timer app for developing film. RH Design Stopclock and Zonemaster II are great tools too.
    Have you seen the light..?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh, forgot this one: I use a bycicle rear red LED light to assist my darkroom lighting in places where it still isn't bright enough. Would this be high or low tech?
    Have you seen the light..?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think my darkroom is pretty basic by modern standards. The most high-tech thing I have is probably my Chromega F, and even that is pretty low-tech in the grand scheme of things. It's just a blown-up version of any other enlarger in the end. I also have a color analyzer that came with my enlarger, though I have never used it.

One of those digital heads that puts a computer picture through an enlarger onto photo paper would be pretty neat to have. But they are very expensive, and wouldn't be much use to me unless I shot more digital. If I had one, I very well might shoot more digital, though.

One recent acquisition that has really helped keep the scurry factor down during my film processing is an automatic tempered water bath. It is designed so that a water jet agitates the floating tanks, but I never use the rolling tanks. I used to just manually adjust the water bath temp by turning the hot and cold sink valves. I just use the tempered bath to make a water bath at 100 F for color processing, or 75 F for b/w processing. I imagine it will really help with color processing at home, when I start that again. (It has been some years for me since I was printing color at home; I've not yet done it in my current darkroom.)
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-30-2011 at 06:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I, uh, just bought a new 16x20 tray?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin