Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,226   Online: 695

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats_A View Post
    It's a Laborator 139. A big beast. I thought that if I had a "perfect" rectangle on the baseboard then all three planes would have to be parallel. Is this not so?
    This is getting confusing. I will make a scratched neg and check the focus.

r

Mats
    Mats

If the lens isn't parallel to the other two planes, it is the same effect as the one you get with a view camera when you are swinging the lens to vary the plane of focus.

If the rectangle isn't a rectangle, it is the same effect as the one you get with a view camera when you are swinging the film plan to vary the shape of the image (e.g. when you want to correct converging parallel lines).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats_A View Post
    Or can I consider it "good enough"?

r

Mats
    Ok, but now you have to align the focus!

Think view camera. You have eliminated converging verticals and horizontals, but now you need to adjust the lensboard tilt to get it in focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to give you an example... I had "aligned" my D-2 to a point image projected was exactly rectangular. I ignored all other parameters. I moved "stuff" to achieve rectangular image. It was PERFECT!

A surprise came in when I actually put a negative in... I could never get all 4 corners (and the center) to come to focus at the same time. It wasn't just little off... it was WAAAAY off!

Your case may be different - but having a rectangular image is not a confirmation of anything. If it isn't rectangular, you know it's off. If it is rectangular... it may be? or may be NOT!

I ended up borrowing an alignment tool and do it right. My suggestion to you is.... if you are even bothering to do this, do it right.....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Square One

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martiny View Post
    Mats --e

I've tried checking enlarger alignment (at least this aspect of it)
    in a similar way, but I just use an empty negative carrier for my
    rectangle, Best regards, Dave
    Same here. A 21/4 square if I recall correctly. If its projected
    image is square the enlarger is aligned. To test for square,
    a square. No more than one corner need be tested. All
    four corners will be equally sharp.

Of itself all four corners being sharp does NOT mean
    a correct alignment has been achieved. Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Beseler 23CIII and last weekend, after previously having aligned the three stages on my enlarger (negative, lens and easel) with a bubble level, I decided do buy a carpenter's square and follow the alignment instructions on the manual. Scroll down to page 7 and see figure 8.

http://backglass.org/duncan/darkroom...ixl_manual.pdf

My enlarger was misaligned by the bubble level method, but my 11x14 enlargements from 6x7 negs look pretty sharp corner to corner. I always work at f 8.0-11. Now the enlarger seems to be correctly aligned. Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but my guess is that perfect alignment becomes critical when making very large prints. Just wanted to share my experience.

Axel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin