Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,657   Online: 677

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Easel Opinions

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting, a disappearing post.

I posted earlier today that I have not been able to find an easel in my price range yet. Also some inane comments about how that makes me feel. Wonder where it went?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We just had someone post 4 blade 11x14 for 100 dollars on APUG classified.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...rger-lens.html

Contact him.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, I pm'd him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite is a Saunders Borderless. Mine is 11X14, but they come in 16X20 also. As the title says, there are no borders, you print on the whole sheet. I can then trim or mat to what I want. The 11 X 14 is maximum - it will to down to 4X5.
    I mount, mat and frame all my work, so this gives me the flexibility I like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saunders Borderless.jpg  
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an 11x14 Saunders borderless like that, I also have a couple of 4-in-one easels. One of them s modified for printing 5x5 and 8x8 prints. I simply cut some stiff cardboard and mounted it under the mask with strong tape. Theres no fiddling about with locating the paper straight any time. For 11x11, I have an 11x14 two blade that I keep set-up for square. I have another 11x14 two blade for standard prints. I also have a couple more easels including a Saunders/Omega 8x10 print and repeat easel with different masks for printing multiples of a size on one sheet of 8x10 paper.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The trick with the two-bladers is first, having one with the little fingers that pull the paper into the corner, and second, tweaking them so that they grip thin slippery paper. Bogens had the fingers after
    the early 80s. I have a clean one you could have for $20 shipped(11x14- I'd make a whole 8 or 9 $).
    You might find one locally for dirt. The Bogens also adjust to a pretty fat top/left border, it's not fixed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I bought one off eBay. I believe it is this one UA1114.

Paid more than I wanted, but I kept getting out bid, and got tired of it, so hit the BIN. Although most of those I was bidding on actually sold for more that I paid for that one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those are very good - and have the additional advantage that they more easily permit you to use unusual sizes of paper (like 4x10).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    One of the very annoying thing with my version of 11x14 2 blade easel was that it was very difficult to place the paper on baseboard (of the easel) at correct angle so that paper sits parallel to the edge. In other words, if I put the paper crooked, I won't know it until I expose and process the paper - then find out my borders are not even.

It's very easy on (at least my version of) 4 blade easel. Stick it into a slot and that's it.

I know above discussion has nothing to do with number of blades but paper stop in the blade - nevertheless it was very important for me to successfully and consistently use easel and make good borders.
    A tip for 4-blade easels without positioning slots: I bought a large sheet of graph paper, drew over the 1" and 1/2" lines with pencil to make them more visible under safelight, and taped it to the easel base after carefully alignment with the blades.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, as soon as I buy one, the prices drop like a rock. Apparently everyone was bidding against me. I see where one now went for $9.99, and a couple did not sell at $40. I guess I was had a right to feel paranoid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin