Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,585   Online: 1000

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Easel Opinions

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The easel arrived the other day. For $99 I am not happy, at $40 I would be. The problem is it was poorly packed. Stuck in a box with shredded paper from a shredder packed around it and a bit of foam sea shells. The stuff was in every nook and cranny, what a mess. One of the inch tapes is buggered up a bit, and one of the rubber bumpers is missing. I have no way of knowing if it was that way when packed, or it happen in jostling around during shipping the shredded paper had settled about 6 inches. Needless to say there was no way to find a 1/4 bumper in a couple of cubic feet of shredded paper, if it was there.

Moral, do not get impatient like I did. I think, I was the one driving up the prices by bidding on everyone in my price range. When I gave up on that I paid too much without discussion with the seller. If I had waited a bit less anxiously, I probablly would have wound up with a nicer easel for less money. OTOH, I can now do some enlarging

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usually write in sharpie the corners of a properly lined up piece of photo paper on my two bladed easels. This way I know as I lay the easel down if the paper shifts or not. I have no problems with crooked photos once I started doing this. I have a 2 bladed 8x10 and 11x14 easel. The 8x10 I have it marked for 8x10 and 5x7 and 5x5. The 11x14 I usually only use for 6x6 negs and that is marked at 11x11 on the corner.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear graywolf,

You might have paid too much, but now you're ready to print. Even if the easel is pretty rough, it is a very good easel and with a little TLC it should be a workhorse.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my four blade Saunders. It gives me a 1" border around my prints so that I can keep the same aspect ratio for my rectangular prints.
    8x10 paper - 6x8 print (3:4 ratio)
    11x14 paper - 9x12 print (3:4 ratio)
    16x20 paper - 14x18 print (almost 3:4 ratio, 13.5x18 would be perfect)

But be careful when you buy easels, especially when you make big enlargements - most of them are not very flat. If you go through the pain to calibrate and adjust your enlarger to be perfectly sharp corner to corner and then the easel isn't flat - what good did it do?

But a nice easel is a beautiful thing.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
    Well, as soon as I buy one, the prices drop like a rock. Apparently everyone was bidding against me. I see where one now went for $9.99, and a couple did not sell at $40. I guess I was had a right to feel paranoid.
    I probably shouldn't tell you then that it also appears someone got away with a 16x20 V-Track for only $75! I wish I was that guy, having spent $65 on a regular 11x14 Saunders recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear graywolf,

You might have paid too much, but now you're ready to print. Even if the easel is pretty rough, it is a very good easel and with a little TLC it should be a workhorse.

Neal Wydra
    There is that. I now have a fully functional darkroom.

I now also have two 6x6 rangefinder cameras, an Iskra and a Hapo 66E. I still have my Pentax MX outfit, although one of the bodies died while they were languishing unused in the closet. Only, my Crown Graphic is limited to making digital prints from the scanned negatives, because I am limited to a 6x6 enlarger.

Life is good!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin