Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,267   Posts: 1,660,631   Online: 787

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Baby and the bathwater. (Emptying trays)

All right. Never mind the baby, but the bathwater is what I'm concerned about. Yesterday, I decided to do some prints in the new to me 16x20 trays. Everything went well for a while until I decided to call it quits for the night. That's when all hell broke loose. I wanted to pour the solutions back into the containers. Well, balancing the huge tray with a gallon of developer in it while trying to pour it out into the funnel which sits on top of an empty gallon jug is an exercise of frustration to put it mildly. In the end I ended up with more than a half of a gallon of Anso 130 spilling onto the floor and splattering on everything that was standing around me, me swearing at the top of my lungs and my family thinking that the world war III has started.
    For the second tray, I used the "hose over the edge and suction to start the flow" trick to drain my fixer, which went comparatively well, but I'm not sure I would want to repeat it with the selenium toner - somehow sucking poison via hose does not sound too enticing to me.
    Anyway, what do you guys and gals use to empty these monster trays? Please share your tips and tricks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm -- you might consider an intermediate step using a pitcher or bucket with a molded pour spout to dump the tray into. I find even at a much smaller scale, a funnel on top of an empty bottle is totally unreliable, unless you have just the right bottle (maybe heavy glass, which has its own hazards) and just the right funnel. Or maybe you could glue up some PVC pipe to form a support rack for a bottle and funnel.

You can also start a siphon by laying the whole hose, or most of it, in the tray to fill it then putting a finger (maybe in a rubber/vinyl/nitrile glove) and stopping the end while you lift it over to the destination. I wouldn't advise mouth suction -- ever!
    Last edited by DWThomas; 02-07-2011 at 03:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use 5L of liquid in 16x20" trays and some training did the trick for me.
    One hand on each side of the tray, pouring from one corner and using the right elbow to support the opposite corner. Most important is to avoid sudden movements as not to create waves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you put a hose in the liquid and fill it, then cap the end of it while getting it inplace to siphon, you won't have to put it in your mouth. You'll get better with practice. Did you get Paterson trays?

Shooter
    Large Format
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A bit of latex tubing, a length of 1/4 inch I.D. tubing, and you can siphon off every drop without spilling a drop.

No need to suck the tube completely full.
    Just draw enough liquid to fill the loop hanging over the counter lip.

This is a very easy-to-clean set-up, no valves, bulbs, or other gimmicks. The latex tubing won't fight you like the vinyl stuff. It lays nice and quiet wherever you put it...

Here's how...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Siphon 1.jpg   Siphon 2.jpg   Siphon 3.jpg  
    Last edited by Reinhold; 02-07-2011 at 01:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or this.. squeezing the bulb starts the syphoning. Once the hose is full, it runs as an ordinary syphon would.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 02-07-2011 at 11:59 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarification
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With single tray processing you can put the tray on a wide pedestal slightly smaller than the tray (say, one of those melamine cubes from the hardware store, as long as it's stable), then use a wide mouth container shorter than your pedestal, and just tip the spout end of the tray to flow into the container. Hope I'm 'splaining it well enough...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    This works really well
    Do you run water through it between trays to prevent cross-contamination?
    "People get bumped off." -- Weegee

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I decant large trays into a wide mouth jug - which is quite manageable

Big trays particularly when full get a wave action that seems almost impossible to control

I have tried siphons but not found them durable or particularly fast

Martin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin