Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,895   Online: 931

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

reels for JOBO 1520?

I picked up a JOBO 1520 tank that came with a plastic reel that does not have the ball bearings and its kind of tricky to load. My question is, will any plastic reel work with this particular tank? I just want the easiest loading possible since I am new to this!

Thanks,
    Jake

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Paterson reels are of a larger diameter, so no - Any old reel will not fit in the Jobo tank.
    To be honest, I don't have any trouble loading my Jobo reel with 120 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The plastic Jobo reels are available at FreeStyle, at least at there Sunset Boulevard Store if not web page. They are an APUG supporter.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhart73 View Post
    I picked up a JOBO 1520 tank that came with a plastic reel that does not have the ball bearings and its kind of tricky to load. My question is, will any plastic reel work with this particular tank? I just want the easiest loading possible since I am new to this!

Thanks,
    Jake
    JOBO reels do not have the ball-and-ramp system (probably patented by Paterson). A couple of things may help: first, disassemble the JOBO reel and scrub the tracks - I've found that a toothbrush and ordinary toothpaste works well. Second, be careful NOT to squeeze the outer edges of the reel together as you feed the film between them. Third ... It pays to drive your wife/ husband, significant other ... yourself... up the walls as you practice, practice, practice loading a sacrificed roll of film - keep your eyes closed to simulate the darkroom.
    "Muscle memory" is invaluable here.

I've used these puppies for ten? ... twenty? years now and have only misloaded three rolls of 120 - NONE! lately, despite being acutely and chronically clumsy.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I am practicing loading, I guess I was confused because all of the tutorials I see make it look very easy to advance the film onto the reel by rotating the reel... when I do this it either backs film off or does not move at all unless I put my thumbs on the film to help advance it. Am I doing something wrong?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I am practicing loading, I guess I was confused because all of the tutorials I see make it look very easy to advance the film onto the reel by rotating the reel... when I do this it either backs film off or does not move at all unless I put my thumbs on the film to help advance it. Am I doing something wrong?
    No, you are where you should be now.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow, thanks Sirius? (shrugs)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is necessary to use your thumbs, but maybe not quite in the way you think.

The edge of the film should contact your thumbs, so when you rotate one side of the reel, the film moves with it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Matt, thats what I am practicing. Holding the film down with one thumb as I turn the reel in order to advance it. I wasnt sure if this would cause issues (fingerprints etc) during the developing?

Shooter
    35mm
    Train to use one finger to block the film only on the edge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin