Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,692   Online: 851

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Leitz Focomat V35 Repair and Maintenance Manual

Does anybody here have a repair or maintenance manual for a Leitz Focomat V35 enlarger?

I bought one where the arm is extremely stiff, and I need to diagnose it and eventually repair it.

I would be extremely thankful for any help.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thomas,

Have you found this site yet?

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee,

Yes, I have visited that site several times. I thought I combed it fairly thoroughly, but think I'll try again.

I'm not desperate, but need to explore all avenues before I do something stupid with the enlarger. There is a German and a French version of the manual on that web site, but neither describes what's inside any of the body panels.

Inside the arm cover are lots of mechanical parts. A friend commented that it looks like the rear suspension of a BMW motorcycle. And it does! The problem I'm having with it is that there is grease everywhere. I cannot touch hardly anything that moves inside without getting my fingers black with grease, and I think there isn't supposed to be that much lubrication inside. Things that move with such ease usually have self lubricating components, like air dampers, water valves, microscopes, or binoculars. Not like the chassis of old Ford F150 pickup trucks...

So I'm seeking the maintenance and repair manual so that I can look inside and properly know what to expect, before I start messing with the components.

THanks!

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Thomas,

Have you found this site yet?

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm

Lee
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 02-10-2011 at 03:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You might try contacting this guy, see if he knows what's up

http://www.glennview.com/leitz.htm

Your always welcome to come look at mine as well. It's not being used so no harm no foul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ike, thanks so much for the link. I have contacted the owner of that site to see if he has some help to offer.

I wouldn't mind coming over just to visit, and if I could check out your enlarger too, it would be great.

- Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An update to this thread, for those that are interested.

I got in touch with Leica / Leitz in New Jersey, and they are very tightly wound about their enlarger repair. It appears that Germany does not allow repair and maintenance manuals to be released to the public, so they have to evaluate the enlarger by me sending it to their New Jersey operation, and then wait six weeks for an estimate.
    A word of warning to anyone buying a Leitz Focomat V35 - make sure you get a promissory note from the seller that the following works:
    1. The vertical column adjustment must operate smoothly.
    2. The arm height adjustment should 'float' and you shouldn't have to apply hardly any force to move it once the locking knob has been un-tightened. Once tightened, it should stay firmly in place.
    3. The auto-focus mechanism has NOT been tampered with.
    4. No alterations or disassembly has been performed on the enlarger.

It appears it is incredibly sensitive to things like torque values of fastening screws, the right kind of lubrication used, the correct re-assembly order of all parts involved. Any deviation from the specification of the machine could result in problems.

Once you get a good specimen that has not been tampered with, they should last a lifetime.

- Thomas

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin