Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,115   Online: 941

Thread: prints charming

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format

prints charming

I was wondering about the possibility of building my own archival print washer-does anyone have any tips/plans to share? TIA
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Images
    I built one years ago patterned after so many of the vertical slot types. It was okay, but never as good and eventually I threw it out and bought a Cascade washer.

Images
    Hi,
    There is a thread on DYI washers in this forum. Search for Archival Print Washer Kit. In the thread, Jeremy Moore posted this link to a vendor: http://fineartphotosupply.com/printwasherpage.htm. It provides the "insides", you provide a 10g aquarium tank.

Looks pretty easy to do, even without the kit.

Cheers,
    Geary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is the link to the DYI Print washer discussion :Print Washer

A good discussion with some detailed information.

Images
    You could build a print washer. You could also eliminate the need for one. By using an alkaline fixer, you eliminate the need for long wash times (and the need for hypo clear). I've been using Formulary TF-4 fixer for a couple of years now. They recommend a wash time of 15-25 minutes for fiber paper. I tend to give prints a long soak and then a short wash. I've seen no downside whatsoever.

Just a thought.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    At the moment, I have a book from my local library called "The Photographer's Build-It-Yourself Book" by Tom Branch, published in 1982 by Amreican Photographic Book Publishing. It gives detailed instructions on building an archival print washer. Maybe you can find this book at a library.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I built a couple of my own, depending on the size of the paper (no use using a 24 x 12 washer to wash 8 x 10) I got some off-cuts of material cut cheaply, and glued them up. Ten years on, they're still working perfectly. Instead of paying £300 each, they cost about £30....If anyone wants more detailed info, mail me at peter@monochromephotography.com with your address and I'll send you instructions.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin