Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,219   Online: 792

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    It's obvious why the Hewes 35mm stainless reels work so well. I can't for the life of me see the reason their 120 stainless reels work so much better than everyone else's... but they do! A big vote from me for the stainless route, but only with the Hewes reels.

Duncan
    During one of these discussions a couple of years ago, I compared my no-name reel with a Hewes I had recently bought by measuring the width between the spirals at several points around the circumference of the reels. I used vernier calipers that could measure to 0.001 inches. The variation in that dimension for the no-name was about three or four times the magnitude of the Hewes, so I assume that could have a lot to do with the difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My preference is SS. Never used the Hewes, but as you see, they have quite the following. Even slightly bent SS are perhaps good for winding ribbon or extension cords on, but not your film. I like to start the film at the taped end, other than that, Nicholas's advice about making sure the film is centered is critical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to use the Patterson. What with arthritis and some serious nerve damage (70% in my right arm/hand alone) I no longer have the coordination to use steel. The only issue I've had with my Patterson is that I didn't clip the tail evenly. Once I got that sorted out I had no problems.

I think either reel is fine, ss vs. Patterson. It's a personal preference.

By the way, what's the best way to clean my reel?
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The stainless steel reels are much more finicky for 35mm (unless you have the Hewes reels...they're the bomb...I don't use anything else anymore) than for 120 because of the length of film that is being wound on. The longer the roll, the more opportunity for any off-center effects to make life difficult. If you use 135 in SS, 120 will be no big deal. I have Kinderman reels for 120, they work great as well, but the cheap 120 reels work okay even. Always nice to have the good ones though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried to buy SS 120 reels locally but couldn't find any and I was in a hurry so I got a Paterson Super System 4 tank and reels and honestly I have only used my nice old Nikor SS reels once or twice since getting the Patersons. I find the Patersons to be easier and it is impossible to mess up frames by having them touching which does happen occasionally with my old SS reels. SS is more economical for sure but to me avoiding ruined frames is worth the extra chemicals. Both are very quick to load with practice but as I said it seems the plastic ones are more foolproof (yes, I am sometimes a fool and mess up my SS loads).

For color work with higher temps again I like the plastic reels, they hold the heat better.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    There are times when my Patterson reels have driven me crazy with 35mm - not clean enough, stiff film, floppy film, etc. So I bought a Hewes. Used it for the first time yesterday. NICE. But for 120, I'd get any ol' 120 SS reel. Always preferred SS for 120 no matter who made the reel.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wanted steel at first as I said but then was deparate as I needed to test a camera so I bought plastic and I find it is very easy now. Put the leader in and then just back and forth... I find the ball bearings are pretty much useless so I pop them out though.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use patterson myself. I too just pull the film in the first inch or two and then back and forth like hpulley writes. I don't have a problem with the ball bearings in Patterson brand reels, but I had a patterson-like reel where they corroded and were trouble.

To clean them, I just soak them in water for a while after photoflo. Then I set them on the shelf to dry.

Nothing wrong with the stainless reel systems, I just don't need both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    The trick to using 120 with SS reels is to be very, very sure the film is centered on that little clip in the center before winding the film on. If the film is off center at the middle it will kink and dimple as you try to wind the film.
    Precisely. I had trouble centring the film using SS reels with the spring in the middle until I discovered a 120 SS reel that has a hinged clip instead of a spring. I think the brand is LPL. Now loading 120 is a breeze: insert the "taped" end of the film over the centre support and under the clip, apply the clip, and start winding. Film will be centred and square every time.

I couldn't find a picture online to share with you, and I don't have the reel handy to take a picture. Sorry. P.S. for 35mm it's Hewes all the way

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a matter of preference. I'd just go with metal, since you already have the tank. If you cannot stand it, maybe try to borrow a plastic tank and reel to see if you like it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin