Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,566   Online: 938

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Paterson reels, but I always make sure to warm them up with a hair-dryer before use which I found to help a lot; this solved all my problems with these reels for both 135 and 120 format.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hewes for life, baby. They've never let me down so far...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Paterson vs stain steel reels??

Thanks, folks! I had heard the Hewes brand elsewhere spoken of highly. My 120 reel is from Freestyle and looks like a bigger version of my 35mm reels, with the same sort of clip. I have one stainless reel with NO clip which seems impossible to load! I tried a loader which clips to the reel and has a curved channel to guide the film. Even in the light it didn't want to load.

Interesting that people seem to find 120 easier to load on SS than 35mm.

I think I'll try the stainless, but have my Paterson in reserve.

BTW, I wonder if running Paterson reels through a dishwasher - air dry cycle! - would clean them up? I imagine the stain mine have makes little difference, except aesthetically.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regarding running reels through a dishwasher:

1) Dishwasher detergent is quite harsh, so be cautious;
    2) Some dishwashers also dispense a rinse aid - probably not a good idea for reels.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't run plastic reels in a dishwasher. The stain is fairly permanent. You could soak them in oxiclean or something if you realllly wanted. Some of mine have a nice beige stain instead of white from use and it has zero effect on cleanliness or image quality.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In a fit of delusion after reading another thread here, I got some Nikor reels and gave them a try. It was a failure, and I had to switch back to my paterson reels mid-load. With 120, I find it easier to load the Paterson reels if I clip a leader first. I think what this means is just use whatever works for you and don't worry about what anyone else thinks is better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An update.

Ijust loaded my first roll of 120 on the Arista stainless steel reel from Freestyle. A piece of cake! For whatever reason it was easier than loading 35mm on ss reels. So I may consider Hewes reels for 35mm if the Arista continues to be easy for 120.

Many thanks to all who responded to my query!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Souped g.p. Surv Superpanchromatic in Paterson plastic tank, no fogging.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I've used both extensively, and professionally so heavy usage.

Never had an issue with Paterson reels and that's all I use these days, but you do need to keep them clean. Some of my Paterson reels are probably about 40 years old and still load easily. (I have far earlier as well).

Ian
    This is the trick to plastic reels, gotta keep them clean and dry. When you do this they last a lifetime and are sooo easy to work with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 4 Patterson reels that are 30+ years old. Also have 5 35mm & 2 120 Kinderman SS reels with Nikor tanks that are even older. I use them all. If the plastic reels are drying I just load up the SS reels and keep going. The point being that they are all easy to load and all work great.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin