Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,344   Online: 807

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thermometers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Thermometers

I'm in the process of finding a good darkroom thermometer. I've read of the kodak process thermometers, and even managed to find a type 3 for under $40 (to my intense displeasure, it came to me broken). Now it seems these thermometers are all but impossible to find inexpensively; the one I'm watching on ebay is up to $150. Are there any cheaper alternatives with comparable precision and accuracy?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Maybe a Weston? I had two of them, gave one away and broke the other, and since then it has been one Mickey Mouse device after another. Just been too lazy to go find another, but it is what I would recommend.

Images
    I think real precision is difficult to come by and also difficult to verify. So, I settle for close, and rely on the fact that the thermometer is consistent (black and white, here.)

I have another back-up thermometer, and it is off by 2 degrees F. So if my main one breaks, I can call the back-up into service, taking into account the 2 degree discrepancy.

My main thermometer is a Paterson, about $25, and I find it easy to read.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcd View Post
    I think real precision is difficult to come by and also difficult to verify. So, I settle for close, and rely on the fact that the thermometer is consistent (black and white, here.)

I have another back-up thermometer, and it is off by 2 degrees F. So if my main one breaks, I can call the back-up into service, taking into account the 2 degree discrepancy.

My main thermometer is a Paterson, about $25, and I find it easy to read.
    At the moment I'm working with the same situation; my thermometer is off by a few degrees. I'm looking for a very precise one for color work and the like.

Shooter
    35mm
    You can buy lab thermometers at places including Amazon. Prepare to spend >$100.

My $15 digital cooking thermometers work fine for me, but if I wanted more precision I would buy a PT100 and rig it up with a microcontroller.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For color work you can use a digital fever thermometer, they are cheap and guaranteed accurate at temperatures around 100F. You can also use 'water bath' thermometers that have an expanded 30-40C scale. I find cooking thermometers to be accurate to 0.2F. For B&W work accuracy isn't all that important, but repeatability is. Unless the column has separated, any liquid thermometer will be up to the requirements imposed by photography. 'Weston' style dial thermometers need to be checked periodically: they are often either adjustable or broken and the stem can be rotated with respect to the dial, changing the reading.

Simply sticking a thermometer into a beaker of water won't tell you the temperature accurately - but this has nothing to do with the thermometer. Technique is critical to accurate temperature measurement. Some thermometers go to the extent of expecting a certain immersion depth and a certain air temperature.

The old adage about clocks applies to thermometers: the man with two thermometers never knows the temperature.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a recent thread on digital thermometers...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/7...rmometers.html

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A man who owns one thermometer knows the temperature, but if he owns more than one............

Anyhow, the best Kodak thermometer is the one in a metal case. I have two and they run in the $120 range.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Consistency is what's really important.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    You can buy lab thermometers at places including Amazon. Prepare to spend >$100.

My $15 digital cooking thermometers work fine for me, but if I wanted more precision I would buy a PT100 and rig it up with a microcontroller.
    I bought several Taiwanese Celsius mercury lab thermometers in cardboard tubes in a close-out sale at a science supply house when mercury became a no-no.. The three I have tested are all dead on. I use two of them to check my Paterson which I use to calibrate my Weston dial thermometers.
    They are not the most convenient dudes around--they are about 24 inches long. Anyone wishing one drop a pm. Maybe 20 bucks, plus UPS shipping would cover my cost.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin