Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,348   Online: 1048

Shooter
    Multi Format

Negative carrier for Saunders/LPL 4550XL

Hello, I recently purchased a new Saunders 4550XL and ordered several negative carriers with it. For 35mm negatives I got a standard glassless carrier, and a carrier with anti-newton ring top glass. I also got a clear top glass that can be swapped in place of the anti-newton ring glass.

I am displeased with the quality of the glass in both cases. There are small imperfections which can affect print quality, particularly in prints that have areas of uniform midtone density. These small flaws are immaterial when working with larger format negatives, but when enlarging 35mm every tiny problem shows up. Aside from the glass, the equipment is excellent. So ideally all I want is the same negative carrier, but with top quality optical glass (clear, and anti-newton ring if it exists). Are there people who do this type of modification work, or perhaps make custom negative carriers that will fit my enlarger? And does anyone have really high quality glass that can be used for this? I was considering even buying a B+W multicoated clear filter, popping the glass out of the ring and somehow using that as my top glass.

Frustrated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you bought it new recently, I'm confident it's still covered by warranty. I would first try contacting the seller and explain the defects. And if they are a trustworthy vendor, they will surely make good on the warranty.

And if you somehow unable to do so, you could try contacting http://www.khbphotografix.com/LPL/ for the parts. I believe they're in Ontario, Canada

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin